In this paper, a new analysis method of broadcast beamforming for a massive MIMO antenna array, targeting at the fifth generation mobile communication, is introduced. In order to solve the problem of narrow broadcast beam coverage, the element phase of massive MIMO antenna array is optimized using a method, which combines both numerical electromagnetic analysis method and global optimization algorithm. The analysis results show that the optimal value of 3 dB broadcast beam width for 64 elements in the horizontal plane is 36 degree, which is 0.55 times of that of the 4G base station. In addition, the optimal value of gain loss increases to about 13 dB compared with the gain of the antenna fed with equal amplitude and in phase. So it is also necessary to take the system link budget of the broadcast channel into consideration. The proposed analysis method and design solution can provide reference for the research of the next generation mobile communication.
"A Method for Analyzing Broadcast Beamforming of Massive MIMO Antenna Array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 65, 15-21, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL16063005
1. Marcus, M. J., "5G and IMT for 2020 and beyond," Spectrum Policy and Regulatory Issues. IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2-3, 2015. doi:10.1109/MWC.2015.7224717
2. Liu, G. and D. Jiang, "5G: Vision and requirements for mobile communication system towards year 2020,", Vol. 2016, 1-8, 2016.
3. Lu, L., G. Y. Li, A. L. Swindlehurst, et al. "An overview of massive MIMO: Benefits and challenges," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 8, No. 5, 742-758, 2014. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2014.2317671
4. Li, Y., et al. "An enhanced beamforming algorithm for three dimensional MIMO in LTE-advanced networks," 2013 International Conference on Wireless Communications & Signal Processing (WCSP), 1-5, 2013.
5. Yilmaz, O. N. C., S. Hamalainen, and J. Hamalainen, "Analysis of antenna parameter optimization space for 3GPP LTE," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference Fall, 1-5, 2009.
6. Pang, X., W. Hong, T. Yang, et al. "Design and implementation of an active multibeam antenna system with 64 RF channels and 256 antenna elements for massive MIMO application in 5G wireless communications," Wireless Communication Over Zigbee for Automotive Inclination Measurement China Communications, Vol. 11, 16-23, 2014.
7. Hoydis, J., S. Ten Brink, and M. Debbah, "Massive MIMO: How many antennas do we need," 2011 49th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing (Allerton), 545-550, IEEE, 2011. doi:10.1109/Allerton.2011.6120214
8. Nam, Y. H., et al. "Full-dimension MIMO (FD-MIMO) for next generation cellular technology," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 51, 172-179, 2013. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2013.6525612
9. Ma, R., et al. "Dual-polarized turning torso antenna array for massive MIMO systems," IEEE European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2015.
10. Panzner, B., et al. "Deployment and implementation strategies for massive MIMO in 5G," 2014 IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), 346-351, 2015.
11. Niyato, D., et al. "Competitive cell association and antenna allocation in 5G massive MIMO networks," IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2015.
12. Gao, X., et al. "Antenna selection in measured massive MIMO channels using convex optimization," 2013 IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), 129-134, 2013.
13. Jin, S., et al. "Zero-forcing beamforming in massive MIMO systems with time-shifted pilots," IEEE International Conference on Communications, 4801-4806, 2014.
14. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, X.-Y. Liu, and H. Jiang, "Performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062306
15. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112801
16. Xiao, Y., et al. "Performance analysis of smart antenna array with mono-and dual-polarization in TD-LTE system," Journal of China Academy of Electronics and Information Technology, 151-154, 2010.
17. Marzetta, T. L., "Noncooperative cellular wireless with unlimited numbers of base station antennas," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 9, No. 11, 3590-3600, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1109/TWC.2010.092810.091092
18. Shepard, C., H. Yu, N. Anand, L. E. Li, T. L. Marzetta, R. Yang, and L. Zhong, "Argos: Practical many-antenna base stations," Proc. ACM Int. Conf. Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), Aug. 2012.
19. Yatskevich, V. and Y. Bulikov, "Method of eliminating interference noughts of radiation pattern of base station antenna array,", 2003.