A novel triple-mode bandpass filter (BPF) using half-wavelength-resonator-coupled square-loop resonator is developed in this letter. The half wavelength resonator is applied to add an additional path, which increases a pole in the passband and a transmission zero in the stopband. Furthermore, the coupling scheme is used to accurately predict its desired performance. Compared to the conventional square-loop dual-mode filter, higher frequency selectivity and wider bandwidth are achieved. Finally, this filter is designed, fabricated and measured. Good agreement is achieved among the theoretical, simulated and measured results. All of these results validate our design idea.
"A Novel Triple-Mode Bandpass Filter Using Half-Wavelength-Resonator-Coupled Square-Loop Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 78, 31-37, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18063002
1. Wolff, I., "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of a microstrip ring resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 8, No. 12, 302-303, 1972. doi:10.1049/el:19720223
2. Gorur, A., "Description of coupling between degenerate modes of a dual-mode microstrip loop resonator using a novel perturbation arrangement and its dual-mode bandpass filter applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 2, 671-677, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.822033
3. Hong, J. S., H. Shaman, and Y. H. Chun, "Dual-mode microstrip open-loop resonators and filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1764-1770, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.901592
4. Liu, H., Z. C. Zhang, L. Shen, J. Wan, L. Y. Shi, and X. H. Guan, "Compact dual-mode bandpass filter using defected step-impedance shunt stub," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 11, 2673-2676, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26362
5. Shen, W., X. W. Sun, and W. Y. Yin, "A novel microstrip filter using triple-mode stepped impedance resonator (TSIR)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 12, 774-776, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2033495
6. Serrano, A. L. C. and F. S. Correra, "A triple-mode bandpass filter using a modified circular patch resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 1, 178-182, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.23950
7. Balalem, A., A. R. Ali, S. Amari, J. Machac, and A. Oma, "Realization of a microstrip triple-mode bandpass filter using a square-loop resonator," Microwave Symposium in IEEE MTT-S Int., 849-852, 2009.
8. Zhang, R. and L. Zhu, "Microstrip bandpass filters using triple-mode patch-loaded cross resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 13-20, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11121506
9. Lee, K. C., H. T. Su, and M. K. Haldar, "Compact microstrip bandpass filters using triple-mode resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 89-98, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12090306
10. Jiang, B., L. Zhu, and D. Chen, "A novel wideband bandpass filter using triple-mode slotline ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 163-170, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13040104
11. Kuo, J.-T., T.-W. Lin, and S.-J. Chung, "New compact triple-mode resonator filter with embedded inductive and capacitive cross coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 435-449, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12112101
12. Wei, F., Y. J. Guo, P.-Y. Qin, and X. W. Shi, "Wideband bandpass filter with a broad stopband based on a triple-mode stub-loaded resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2878-2881, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28732
13. Zhang, Z.-C., Q.-X. Chu, and S.-W. Wong, "Compact quad-mode single band/dual-mode dualband bandpass filters using two coupled loop resonators," Microwave Symposium in IEEE MTT-S Int., 1-3, 2014.
14. Tang, M., T. Shi, and X. Tan, "A novel triple-mode hexagon bandpass filter with meander line and central-loaded stub," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 9-12, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29483
15. Arain, S., P. Vryonides, M. A. B. Abbasi, A. Quddious, M. A. Antoniades, and S. Nikolaou, "Wideband BPF using quadruple-mode ring resonator loaded with short-circuited stubs and Γ-shaped band-stop sections," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 9, 2316-2320, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30737
16. Shang, S., B. Wei, X. Guo, B. Cao, X. Wang, and L. Jiang, "Superconducting wideband bandpass filter based on triple-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 1-3, 2018.
17. Cameron, R., "Advanced coupling matrix synthesis techniques for microwave filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 1, 1-10, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.806937