A circularly polarized (CP) half-mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) cavity-backed antenna is developed by a novel design method in this paper. The single-fed antenna contains two coupled HMSIW cavities with orthogonal polarizations. Its design method evolves from filter synthesis procedure, which takes the advantage of equivalent circuit model to accelerate the optimization. The antenna radiates high-purity right handed CP waves with measured axial ratio (AR) of 0.33 dB at 3.55 GHz, while its gain and AR bandwidth are comparable to other CP SIW antennas. With the robust design method, the proposed antenna is competitive in practical applications.
"Development of a Circularly Polarized HMSIW Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 87, 81-87, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERL19080611
1. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
2. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110604
3. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09012901
4. Luo, G. Q., Z. F. Hu, Y. Liang, L. Y. Yu, and L. L. Sun, "Development of low profile cavity backed crossed slot antennas for planar integration," IEEE transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2972-2979, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2028602
5. Razavi, S. A. and M. H. Neshati, "Development of a low-profile circularly polarized cavity-backed antenna using HMSIW technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1041-1047, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2227104
6. Kim, D. Y., J. W. Lee, T. K. Lee, and C. S. Cho, "Design of SIW cavity-backed circular-polarized antennas using two different feeding transitions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1398-1403, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2109675
7. Wu, Q., H. Wang, C. Yu, and W. Hong, "Low-profile circularly polarized cavity-backed antennas using SIW techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 2832-2839, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2560940
8. Kim, K. and S. Lim, "Miniaturized circular polarized TE10-mode substrate-integrated-waveguide antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 658-661, 2014.
9. Tian, H., K. Dhwaj, L. J. Jiang, and T. Itoh, "Beam scanning realized by coupled modes in a single-patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1077-1080, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2832605
10. Tian, H., L. J. Jiang, and T. Itoh, "A compact single-element pattern reconfigurable antenna with wide-angle scanning tuned by a single varactor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 137-150, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19021407
11. Tian, H., L. J. Jiang, and T. Itoh, "Compact endfire coupled-mode patch antenna with vertical polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 9, 5885-5891, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2922736
12. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
13. Dhwaj, K., J. M. Kovitz, H. Tian, L. J. Jiang, and T. Itoh, "Half-mode cavity-based planar filtering antenna with controllable transmission zeroes," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 5, 833-836, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2818058
14. Hong, J. S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
15. Cameron, R. J., C. M. Kudsia, and R. R. Mansour, Microwave Filters for Communication Systems: Fundamentals, Design, and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2018. doi:10.1002/9781119292371