An inline quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide (QMSIW) filter with controllable finite transmission zeros (FTZs) is presented based on a novel frequency-dependent coupling structure, which is constructed by a microstrip line with a pair of symmetric metallized via/buried holes and a magnetic coupling iris between two resonant cavities. FTZ can be independently introduced and controlled on both sides of passband to achieve high selectivity while keeping the filter compact configuration unchanged. For demonstration, the proposed structure is analyzed in detail. An inline fourth-order QMSIW bandpass filter (BPF) with two upper FTZs is designed, fabricated, and measured. The synthesis results, EM results, and measured results are in accordance with each other, which confirms the effectiveness of the proposed method.
Guo Hui Li,
"An Inline Quarter-Mode SIW Bandpass Filter Based on Frequency-Dependent Coupling Structures with Controllable Transmission Zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 97, 141-148, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21021803
1. He, Y. X., M. Giuseppe, G. Wang, W. T. Wu, L. G. Sun, L. Wang, and R. Zhang, "A direct matrix synthesis for in-line filters with transmission zeros generated by frequency-variant couplings," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 66, No. 4, 1780-1789, 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2791940
2. He, Y. X., M. Giuseppe, Z. W. Ma, L. G. Sun, and Y. Nobuyuki, "Advanced direct synthesis approach for high selectivity in-line topology filters comprising N-1 adjacent frequency-variant couplings," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 41659-41668, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2907531
3. Lukasz, S., L. Natalia, and M. Michal, "A linear phase filter in quadruplet topology with frequencydependent couplings," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 1, 32-34, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2288178
4. Liu, Q., D. F. Zhou, D. W. Zhang, and D. L. Lv, "A novel frequency-dependent coupling with flexibly controllable slope and its applications on substrate-integrated waveguide filters," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 11, 993-995, 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2872325
5. Liu, Q., D. F. Zhou, D. W. Zhang, and D. L. Lv, "SIW bandpass filters in modified box-section scheme with bypass/constant/frequency-dependent coupling in diagonal cross-coupling path," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 5, 559-566, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5361
6. Leszczynska, N., S. Lukasz, and M. Micha, "A novel synthesis technique for microwave bandpass filters with frequency-dependent couplings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 35-50, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13011007
7. Gong, K., W. Hong, Y. Zhang, P. Chen, and C. J. You, "Substrate integrated waveguide quasielliptic filters with controllable electric and magnetic mixed coupling," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 10, 3071-3078, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2209437
8. Lukasz, S., J. Andrzej, and M. Michal, "A trisection filter design with negative slope of frequencydependent cross coupling implemented in substrate integrated waveguide (SIW)," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 9, 456-458, 2013. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2272611
9. Lukasz, S., L. Adam, and M. Michal, "Coupled-resonator waveguide filter in quadruplet topology with frequency-dependent coupling — A design based on coupling matrix," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 11, 553-555, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2225604
10. Lukasz, S., L. Natalia, and M. Michal, "Generalized Chebyshev bandpass filters with frequencydependent couplings based on stubs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory. Tech., Vol. 61, No. 10, 3601-3612, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2279777
11. Zhu, F., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, and K. Wu, "Quarter-wavelength stepped-impedance resonator filter with mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 2, 90-92, 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2290225
12. Amari, S., F. Seyfert, and M. Bekheit, "Theory of coupled resonator microwave bandpass filters of arbitrary bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2188-2203, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2052874
13. Lukasz, S., L. Adam, and M. Michal, "Coupled-resonator filters with frequency-dependent couplings: coupling matrix synthesis," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 6, 312-314, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2197386
14. Stefano, M., T. Cristiano, B. Maurizio, and P. Luca, "Quarter-mode cavity filters in substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, No. 8, 2538-2547, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2577690
15. Zhang S., X. D. Fu, J. J. Cheng, D. Q. Cheng, H. T. Wang, F. L. Liu, and L. C. Bao, "Compact balanced bandpass filter with the fractal defected structures," IEICE Electron. Expr., Vol. 15, No. 15, 1-6, 2018.
16. Li, P., H. Chu, and R. S. Chen, "Design of compact bandpass filters using quarter-mode and eighthmode SIW cavities," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packaging Manuf. Technol., Vol. 7, No. 6, 956-963, 2017. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2017.2677958
17. Phirun, K. and J. Yongchae, "Compact and wide stopband substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter using mixed quarter- and one-Eighth modes cavities," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 1, 16-19, 2020. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2019.2954603
18. Wang, X., X. W. Zhu, Z. H. Jiang, Z. C. Hao, Y. W. Wu, and W. Hong, "Analysis of eighth-mode substrate-integrated waveguide cavity and flexible filter design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 7, 1-12, 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2913646
19. Liu, Q., D. F. Zhou, D. Zhang, S. Wang, and D. Lv, "Compact cross-coupled quarter-mode SIW bandpass filters with different locations of input and output ports," 2019 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-3, Guangzhou, China, 2019.