In this article, a compact dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) with partial ground plane for wireless applications is examined. The exhibited structure is fed by a microstrip line. To demonstrate the functionality of a tri-band, a circular dielectric resonator antenna with concentric circular rings is created. The developed antenna parametric analysis has been performed on HFSS platform. The configured design operates at three frequency bands, i.e. 1.98-2.59 GHz (ISM), 3.24-3.85 GHz (Wi-max), and 4.85-5.85 GHz (WLAN), with the fractional bandwidths of 26.6%, 20.4%, and 18.67%, respectively. The customized concentric rings are placed onto the substrate to reinforce the antenna appearance and also miniaturize the size. The measured outcomes are strongly in accordance with the simulated results. The designed model can be customized with certain attributes to wireless applications.
Lavuri Nageswara Rao,
Madhavareddy Venkata Narayana,
"Design of Tri-Band Hybrid Dielectric Resonator Antenna for Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 98, 75-84, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21032516
1. Kishk, A. A., B. Ahn, and D. Kajfez, "Broadband stacked dielectric resonator antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 25, 1232-1233, Aug. 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890826
2. Varshney, G., S. Gotra, V. S. Pandey, and R. S. Yaduvanshi, "Inverted-sigmoid shaped multiband dielectric resonator antenna with dual-band circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 4, 206-2082, Apr. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2800799
3. O’Connor, E. M. and S. A. Long, "The history of the development of the dielectric resonator antenna," ICEAA International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 872-875, Turin, Italy, Sept. 2007.
4. Simons, R. N. and R. Q. Lee, "Effect of parasitic dielectric resonator on CPW/aperture-coupled dielectric resonator antenna," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 140, 336-338, Oct. 1993.
5. Chen, H.-M., Y.-K. Wang, Y.-F. Lin, S.-C. Lin, and S.-C. Pan, "A compact dual-band dielectric resonator antenna using a parasitic slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 8, 173-176, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2001119
6. Song, Z., H. Zheng, M. Wang, Y. Li, T. Song, E. Li, and Y. Li, "Equilateral triangular dielectric resonator and metal patch hybrid antenna for UWB application," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 119060-119068, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2936013
7. Afifi, A. I., A. B. Abdel-Rahman, A. S. A. El-Hameed, A. Allam, and S. M. Ahmed, "Small frequency ratio multi-band dielectric resonator antenna utilizing vertical metallic strip pairs feeding structure," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 112840-112845, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3002789
8. Fatah, S. Y. A., E. K. I. K. I. Hamad, W. Swelam, A. M. M. A. Allam, M. F. Abo Sree, and H. A. Mohamed, "Design and implementation of UWB slot-loaded printed antenna for microwave and millimeter wave applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 29555-29564, 2021. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3057941
9. Leung, K. W., K. Y. Chow, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Low-profile circular disk DR antenna of very high permittivity excited by a Microstrip line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 1004-1005, Jun. 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970718
10. Kranenburg, R. A. and S. A. Long, "Microstrip transmission line excitation of dielectric resonator antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 24, 1156-1157, Sept. 1988. doi:10.1049/el:19880785
11. So, K. K. and K. W. Leung, "Bandwidth enhancement and frequency tuning of the dielectric resonator antenna using a parasitic slot in the ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 4169-4172, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.860002
12. Huitema, L., M. Koubeissi, C. Decroze, and T. Monediere, "Compact and multiband dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Proc. 4th Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag., 1-4, Apr. 2010.
13. Leung, K. W. and K. K. So, "Frequency-tunable designs of the linearly and circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna using a parasitic slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 572-576, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838762
14. Wu, Q., "Characteristic mode assisted design of dielectric resonator antennas with feedings," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 8, 5294-5304, Aug. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2916763
15. Lin, I. K. C., et al., "A triple band hybrid MIMO rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for LTE applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 122900-122913, Aug. 2019.
16. Denidni, T. A. and Q. Rao, "Hybrid dielectric resonator antenna with radiating slot for dual-frequency operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 3, 321-323, Dec. 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.839455
17. Elek, F., R. Abhari, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A uni-directional ring-slot antenna achieved by using an electromagnetic band-gap surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 181-190, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840533
18. Row, J. S. and S. W. Wu, "Circularly-polarized wide slot antenna loaded with a parasitic patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 2826-2832, Sept. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928769
19. Salonen, P. and L. Hurme, "A novel fabric WLAN antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 700-703, IEEE, Columbus, OH, USA, 2003.
20. Tronquo, A., H. Rogier, C. Hertleer, and L. V. Langenhove, "Applying textile materials for the design of antennas for wireless body area networks," Proceedings of EuCap 2006: First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Nice, France, Nov. 6–10, 2006.
21. Nageswara Rao, L. and I. Govardhani, "A cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with meander slot for WBAN," International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, Vol. 9, 6486-6489, 2019.
22. Raju, M. P., D. S. Phani Kishore, and B. T. P. Madhav, "CPW fed T-shaped wearable antenna for ISM band, Wi-Fi, WiMAX, WLAN and fixed satellite service applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 19, No. 2, 140-146, 2019. doi:10.26866/jees.2019.19.2.140
23. Palla, R. K. and K. K. Naik, "Design of dual band antenna with defects on patch and ground for wireless applications," International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 2, 261-264, 2019. doi:10.35940/ijrte.A3307.078219
24. Monik, M., S. K. Rajiya, and B. T. P. Madhav, "Fractal shaped concentric ring structured reconfigurable monopole antenna with DGS for GPS, GSM, WLAN and ISM band medical applications," Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development, Vol. 9, No. 6, 285-289, 2018. doi:10.5958/0976-5506.2018.00565.X
25. Raj Kamal, K. and G. Immadi, "A compact UWB micro strip patch antenna using coplanar wave guide feeding for bio medical applications," ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 3, 976-981, 2018.
26. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Micrstrip Antenna Design Hand Book, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2001.
27. Lin, I. K. C., M. H. Jamaluddin, A. Awang, R. Selvaraju, M. H. Dahri, L. C. Yen, and H. A. Rahim, "A triple band hybrid MIMO rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for LTE applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 122900-122913, 2019.
28. Immadi, G., N. K. Majji, M. Venkata Narayana, and A. Navya, "Comparative analysis of pass band characteristics of a rectangular waveguide with and without a dielectric slab," International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 6, 1209-1211, 2019.
29. Ramakrishna, T. V., B. T. P. Madhav, M. Venkateswara Rao, A. Babu Rao, A. Sunaina, A. Avinash, and B. Shivani, "SRR loaded half-mode substrate integrated waveguide monopole slot antenna for multband applications," International Journal of Engineering and Technology (UAE), Vol. Vol. 7 (1.1 Special Issue 1), 560-564, 2018.
30. Venkata Narayana, M., G. Immadi, H. Muppa, M. Nagisetty, and H. V. R. Konda, "Design of microstrip circular patch antenna array," Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, Vol. 9, No. 17, 2178-2185, 2017.
31. Bemani, M., S. Nikmehr, and H. Youneiraad, "A novel small triple band rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11–12, 1688-1698, 2012.
32. Huang, C. L. and Y. W. Tseng, "A low-loss dielectric using CaTiO3-modified Mg1.8Ti1.1O4 ceramics for applications in dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 21, 2293-2300, 2014. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2014.004074
33. Kha, A. A., M. H. Jamaluddin, S. Aqeel, J. Nasir, J. U. R. Kazim, and O. Owais, "A dual-band MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, 113-120, 2017.
34. Fang, X. S. and S. M. Chen, "Design of the wide dual-band rectangular souvenir dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 161621-161629, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2951819