A dual-polarized wide-angle scanning array antenna is proposed in this paper. The proposed antenna array consists of sixteen elements with the working band from 9.5 to 10.5 GHz. A microstrip patch fed from two orthogonal directions is applied to achieve dual-polarization. In order to obtain good impedance matching and wide bandwidth of the antenna, capacitive coupling feeding is adopted. The measured results show that the proposed array can cover a wide scanning range of ±58°. The polarization isolations of antenna are higher than 17 dB. The isolations between receiving sub-array and transmitting sub-array are higher than 22.3 dB. The proposed array antenna is suitable for Van Atta applications.
"A Dual-Polarized Wide-Angle Scanning Antenna with High Isolation for Van Atta Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 103, 81-88, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22011803
1. Ettorre, M., W. A. Alomar, and A. Grbic, "2-D Van Atta array of wideband, wideangle slots for radiative wireless power transfer systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4577-4585, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851197
2. Song, K., D. Feng, J. Wang, Q. Xie, and L. Liu, "Phase modulation of retro-reflected radar echo signal using a microstrip Van-Atta Array," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 96011-96018, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2928321
3. Re, P. D. H., S. K. Podilchak, S. Rotenberg, G. Goussetis, and J. Lee, "Retrodirective antenna array for circularly polarized wireless power transmission," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 891-895, 2017. doi:10.23919/EuCAP.2017.7928801
4. Ettorre, M., W. A. Alomar, and A. Grbic, "Radiative wireless power-transfer system using wideband, wide-angle slot arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 6, 2975-2982, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2688930
5. Atta, L. C. V., Electromagnetic Reflector, US, 1959.
6. Miao, Z., Z. Hao, and Q. Yuan, "A passive circularly polarized Van Atta reflector for vehicle radar applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2254-2257, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2711492
7. Yau, K. S. B., "Development of a passive retrodirective Van Atta array reflector at X-band," 2013 International Conference on Radar, 398-402, 2013. doi:10.1109/RADAR.2013.6652021
8. El-Sawaf, H. I. A., M. El-Tager, and A. M. Ghuneim, "A proposed 2-D active Van Atta retrodirective array using dual-polarized microstrip antenna," 2012 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 1103-1105, 2012. doi:10.1109/APMC.2012.6421838
9. Gevorkyan, A. V., "Wideband microstrip Van Atta array," 2019 IEEE Conference of Russian Young Researchers in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EIConRus), 852-854, 2019. doi:10.1109/EIConRus.2019.8657079
10. Yan, L. and Z. Shen, "Compact wideband wide-angle Van Atta retrore structural mode," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 5, 736-740, 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2977764
11. Yen, S., L. B. Boskovic, and D. S. Filipovic, "Co-circularly polarized Van Atta array enabled by quasi-monostatic STAR antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 11, 7156-7165, 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3069586