A bidirectional, coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed dumbbell-shaped slot antenna with partially reflecting surface (PRS) with parasitic patches for gain, bandwidth, and radiation pattern improvement is investigated. A dumbbell-shaped CPW-fed slot antenna has a dimension of 0.71λg x 0.71λg x 0.0571λg. The proposed antenna is simple in design and has low profile structure. To achieve improvement in bandwidth, gain, and bidirectional radiation pattern, PRS with parasitic patches are placed on top and bottom of antenna at a distance of 0.25λg. The proposed design yields wide bandwidth of 4.11 GHz (4.48-8.59 GHz) with percentage bandwidth of 62.89%, S11 ≤ -10 dB, and peak gain of 5.61 dBi. The variation in the gain over desired bandwidth is less than 3 dB. The antenna is fabricated using an FR4 substrate with relative permittivity of 4.4. The measured results corroborate the design and stipulate the proposed structure to be suitable for applications in C Band.
Ameet M. Mehta,
Shankar B. Deosarkar,
Anil Bapusa Nandgaonkar,
"Gain and Bandwidth Enhancement of a CPW-Fed Bidirectional Dumbbell Shaped Slot Antenna Using PRS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 107, 159-167, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22091504
1. ETSI, Broadband radio access networks (BRAN); HIPERLAN type 2 technical specifications; physical layer (PHY), Tech. Rep. DTS/BRAN-0023003, European Telecommunications Standards Institute, Sophia Antipolis, France, Oct. 1999.
2. O'Hara, B. and A. Petrick, The IEEE 802.11 Handbook: A Designer's Companion, IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
3. Diels, W., K. Vaesen, P. Wambacq, et al. "Single-package integration of RF blocks for a 5 GHz WLAN application," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 24, No. 3, 384-391, 2001. doi:10.1109/6040.938307
4. IEEE 802.11, Wireless access method and physical layer specifications, New York, NY, USA, Sep. 1994.
5. Wong, K.-L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2002. doi:10.1002/0471221112
6. Huynh, T. and K.-F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wideband microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-1312, 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19950950
8. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "L-probe proximity-fed short-circuited patch antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 24, 2069-2070, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19991446
9. Tong, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.865229
10. Guo, Y.-X., K.-M. Luk, K.-F. Lee, and R. Chair, "A quarter-wave U-shaped patch antenna with two unequal arms for wideband and dual-frequency operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1082-1087, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.801285
11. Yen, M.-H., P. Hsu, and J.-F. Kiang, "Analysis of a CPW-fed slot ring antenna," Proc. APMC 2001 Int. Conf., 1267-1270, 2001.
12. Tehrani, H. and K. Chang, "Multifrequency operation of microstrip-fed slot-ring antennas on thin low-dielectric permittivity substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 9, 1299-1308, Sep. 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.800697
15. Feresidis, A. P. and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "High gain planar antenna using optimised partially reflective surfaces," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 148, No. 6, 345-350, Dec. 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20010828
16. Foroozesh, N. A. and L. Shafai, "Investigation into the effects of the patch-type fss superstrate on the high-gain cavity resonance antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 258-270, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2037702
17. Alexopoulos, N. and D. Jackson, "Fundamental superstrate (cover) effect on printed circuit antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, No. 8, 807-816, Aug. 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143433
18. Lee, R. Q. and K. F. Lee, "Experimental study of the two-layer electromagnetically coupled rectangular patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1298-1302, Aug. 1990. doi:10.1109/8.56971
19. Egashira, S. and E. Nishiyama, "Stacked microstrip antenna with wide bandwidth and high gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 11, 1533-1534, Nov. 1996. doi:10.1109/8.542079
20. Foroozesh, A. and L. Shafai, "2-D truncated periodic leaky-wave antennas with reactive impedance surface ground," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 15-18, Albuquerque, NM, Jul. 9-14, 2006.
21. Yu, C.-C. and X.-C. Lin, "A wideband single chip inductor-loaded CPW-fed inductive slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1498-1501, May 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919224
22. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H.-C. Yang, and Y. Li, "A compact quadband CPW-fed slot antenna for M-WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 395-398, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2192901
23. Wang, J., H. Wong, Z. Ji, and Y. Wu, "Broadband CPW-fed aperture coupled metasurface antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, 517-520, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2895618
24. Liao, H.-P. and S.-Y. Chen, "Bandwidth and gain enhancement of CPW-fed slot antenna using a partially re ective surface formed by two-step tapered dipole unit cells," 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 2019.
25. Zhou, E., Y. Cheng, F. Chen, H. Luo, and X. Li, "Low-profile high-gain wideband multi-resonance microstrip-fed slot antenna with anisotropic metasurface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 175, 91-104, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIER22062201
26. Kumar, A., A. De, and R. K. Jain, "Gain enhancement using modified circular loop FSS loaded with slot antenna for sub-6 GHz 5G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 98, 41-48, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21031108
27. Paik, H., S. K. Mishra, C. M. Sai Kumar, and K. Premchand, "High performance CPW fed printed antenna with double layered frequency selective surface reflector for bandwidth and gain improvement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 102, 47-55, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL21101703
28. Bhattacharya, A., B. Dasgupta, and R. Jyoti, "Design and analysis of ultrathin X-band frequency selective surface structure for gain enhancement of hybrid antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e22505, Nov. 2020.
29. Cheng, Y.-F., X. Ding, X. Xu, X. Zhong, and C. Liao, "Design and analysis of a bow-tie slot-coupled wideband metasurface antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 1342-1346, Jul. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2916380
30. Kanjanasit, K. and C. Wang, "A wideband resonant cavity antenna assembled using a micromachined CPW-fed patch source and a two-layer metamaterial superstrate," IEEE Trans. on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Tech., Vol. 9, No. 6, 1142-1150, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2870479
31. Chaimool, S., C. Rakluea, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Mu-near-zero metasurface for microstrip-fed slot antennas," Appl. Phys., Vol. 112, 669-675, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1007/s00339-013-7703-6