In this paper, a novel ultra-wide band (UWB) antenna with a planar single-layer structure is proposed. The antenna consists of a main circular patch that is capacitively coupled to six circular patches of very small size relative to the main patch. The coupling is achieved through narrow gaps of semicircular shape which are uniformly distributed on the circumference of the main patch. A coplanar waveguide (CPW) is used for feeding the antenna to get the complete antenna structure with the feeding line printed on one face of a flexible dielectric substrate. The antenna is fabricated and subjected to experimental assessment of its performance regarding the bandwidth, gain, and radiation efficiency. The measurements show good agreement with the simulation results. It is shown that the proposed antenna operates efficiently over the frequency band of 3.1-10.6 GHz. The antenna has a radiation efficiency that ranges from 99% to 100% over the entire band. This high efficiency is attributed to the planar single-layer structure of the antenna and the use of a thin low-loss substrate. The antenna maximum gain ranges from 2 dBi to 5 dBi over the entire frequency band. The substrate material is Rogers RO3003TM which is flexible and can be conformal to planar and curved surfaces. The total substrate dimensions are 35 × 39.4 × 0.5 mm.
Rania R. Elshakawy,
Khalid Fawzy Ahmed Hussein,
Asmaa Elsayed Farahat,
"Ultra-Wide Band Antenna on Flexible Substrate for Future Wireless Communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 107, 83-91, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22091902
2. Saleh, S., W. Ismail, I. S. Z. Abidin, M. H. Jamaluddin, M. H. Bataineh, and A. S. Alzoubi, "Compact UWB Vivaldi tapered slot antenna," Alexandria Engineering Journal, Vol. 61, 4977-4994, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3134865
3. Elsharkawy, R. R., A. S. Abd El-Hameed, and S. M. El-Nady, "Quad-port MIMO filtenna with high isolation employing BPF with high out-of-band rejection," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 3814-3824, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153092
4. Dwivedi, R. P., M. Z. Khan, and U. K. Kommuri, "UWB circular cross slot AMC design for radiation improvement of UWB antenna," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEÜ), Vol. 117, 1-8, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.matpr.2021.02.163
5. Gayatri, T., G. Srinivasu, D. M. K. Chaitanya, and V. K. Sharma, "A compact Luna shaped high gain UWB antenna in 3.1 GHz to 10.6 GHz using FR4 material substrate," Materials Today: Proceedings, Vol. 49, 359-365, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIER07012101
6. Hussein, K. F. A., "Effect of internal resonance on the radar cross section and shield effectiveness of open spherical enclosures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 225-246, 2007. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3192548
7. Farahat, A. E., K. F. A. Hussein, and M. A. El-Hassan, "Design methodology of multiband printed antennas for future generations of mobile handsets," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 75918-75931, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3160724
8. Farahat, A. E. and K. F. A. Hussein, "Dual-band (28/38 GHz) wideband MIMO antenna for 5G mobile applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 32213-32223, 2022.