A systematic technique for switching between horizontal and vertical polarizations is introduced. A fan-beam antenna array for base station applications employing a grounded reflector is implemented, and the proposed approach is implemented and validated on it. The antenna array is realized using planar monopole elementary elements against a non-parasitic reflector, which yields a desirable fan-beam pattern. The corresponding 3 dB H-plane beamwidth can be easily adjusted by changing the reflector height. Two versions of the antenna arrays are used to demonstrate suppression of unwanted asymmetrical modes in the current distribution yielding improved cross-polar isolation. The measured H-plane 3-dB beamwidth is approximately 127 degrees at 900 MHz and 124 degrees at 955 MHz. The corresponding side lobe level is almost -11.7 dB and -8.7 dB at 900 MHz, while the back lobe level of -9.3 dB and -11 dB at 955 MHz from measurements. The gain is within the acceptable level in both cases and compared with simulations that possess good agreement. By taking into account the antenna design and manufacturing aspects, such antennas will pave the way to be employed in OFDM reconfigurable antenna applications and Identification Friend or Foe (IFF).
"Polarization Switching in Fan-Beam Reflector-Backed Array Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 112, 9-15, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23070705
1. Neto, A., D. Cavallo, G. Gerini, and G. Toso, "Scanning performances of wideband connected arrays in the presence of a backing reflector," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 3092-3102, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2028631
2. Wang, S., Y. Sun, F. He, Z. Sun, P. Li, and Z. Dong, "DBF processing in range-doppler domain for MWE SAR waveform separation based on digital array-fed reflector antenna," Remote Sens., Vol. 12, 3161, 2020. doi:10.3390/rs12193161
3. Rahman, M., M. Naghshvarian Jahromi, S. S. Mirjavadi, and A. M. Hamouda, "Bandwidth enhancement and frequency scanning array antenna using novel UWB filter integration technique for OFDM UWB radar applications in wireless vital signs monitoring," Sensors, Vol. 18, 3155, 2018. doi:10.3390/s18093155
4. Lee, C. U., G. Noh, B. Ahn, J.-W. Yu, and H. L. Lee, "Tilted-beam switched array antenna for UAV mounted radar applications with 360◦ coverage," Electronics, Vol. 8, 1240, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8111240
5. Nekrasov, A., A. Khachaturian, J. Labun, P. Kurdel, and M. Bogachev, "Towards the sea ice and wind measurement by a C-band scatterometer at dual V V=HH polarization: A prospective appraisal," Remote Sens., Vol. 12, 3382, 2020. doi:10.3390/rs12203382
6. Desrumaux, L., A. Godard, M. Lalande, V. Bertrand, J. Andrieu, and B. Jecko, "An original antenna for transient high power UWB arrays: The shark antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 2515-2552, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2050418
7. Deng, Z., W. Xu, P. Huang, W. Tan, Y. Qi, and , "Frequency diverse arc array beampattern synthesis analysis with nonlinear frequency offset," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 110, 109-116, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23030201
8. Emara, H. M., S. K. El Dyasti, H. H. Ghouz, M. F. A. Sree, and S. Y. A. Fatah, "Compact high gain microstrip array antenna using DGS structure for 5G applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 130, 213-225, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC22122110
9. Nejatijahromi, M., M. Rahman, and M. Naghshvarianjahromi, "Continuously tunable WiMAX band-notched UWB antenna with fixed WLAN notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 75, 97-103, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18010819
10. Falahati, A., M. Naghshvarian Jahromi, and R. M. Edwards, "Bandwidth enhancement and decreasing UWB pulse response distor-tion of penta-gasket-koch monopole antennas using compact grounded coplanar wave guides," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, 48-56, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0026
11. Basbug, S., "Design and synthesis of antenna array with movable elements along semicircular paths," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3059-3062, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2760348
12. Martinez-de-Rioja, D., E. Martinez-de-Rioja, Y. Rodriguez-Vaqueiro, J. A. Encinar, and A. Pino, "Multibeam reflectarrays in Ka-band for efficient antenna farms onboard broadband communication satellites," Sensors, Vol. 21, 207, 2021. doi:10.3390/s21010207
13. Ding, Z., H. Wang, S. Tao, D. Zhang, C. Ma, and Y. Zhong, "A novel broadband monopole antenna with T-slot, CB-CPW, parasitic stripe and heart-shaped slice for 5G applications," Sensors, Vol. 20, 7002, 2020. doi:10.3390/s20247002
14. Falahati, A., M. Naghshvarian Jahromi, and R. M. Edwards, "Wideband fan-beam low-sidelobe array antenna using grounded re ector for DECT, 3G, and ultra-wideband wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 61, 700-706, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2226224
15. Naghshvarian Jahromi, M., M. Nejati Jahromi, and A. Falahti, "Dual-band fan-beam array antenna for GSM900, DECT and 3G wireless applications," 2011 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications, 524-527, 2011. doi:10.1109/APWC.2011.6046779
16. Yu, X., Y. Yin, H. Lv, Y. Zhang, F. Liang, P. Wang, and J. Wang, "Non-contact determination of vital signs monitoring of animals in hemorrhage states using bio-radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 100, 23-34, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20102706
17. Lu, W., Y. Li, Y. Ji, S. Shen, C. Tang, B. Zhou, and G. Fang, "High reliability UWB monopole antenna using planar embedded resistance for mars subsurface exploration," Electronics, Vol. 10, 682, 2021. doi:10.3390/electronics10060682
18. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2403-2414, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834135
19. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
20. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NY, USA, 1998.