In this letter, a novel 3-D heterogeneous solenoid inductor with high inductance value is proposed. By adding planar spiral structure at the ends of through-silicon vias (TSVs) of typical 3-D solenoid inductor, the heterogeneous solenoid is formed. The total inductance is increased by more than 41% compared with that of typical solenoid inductor of the same size. Additionally, an accurate analytical model of the inductor is established considering all the factors including angle and offset. Q3D simulation results verified the accuracy of the model, and the percentage error is less than 5.38%. This work provides an important reference for inductor designers to quickly estimate inductance value, configuration, and layout area.
"Modeling of Tsv-Based 3-d
Heterogeneous Solenoid Inductor with High Inductance Value," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 112, 111-118, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23071804
1. Tida, U. R., V. Mittapalli, C. Zhuo, and Y. Shi, "`Green' on-chip inductors in three-dimensional integrated circuits," 2014 IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI, 571-576, 2014. doi:10.1109/ISVLSI.2014.117
2. Tida, U. R., R. Yang, C. Zhuo, and Y. Shi, "On the efficacy of through-silicon-via inductors," IEEE Trans. Very Large Scale Integr. (VLSI) Syst., Vol. 23, No. 7, 1322-1334, Jul. 2015. doi:10.1109/TVLSI.2014.2338862
3. Feng, Z., C. A. Bower, et al. "High-Q solenoidal inductive elements," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1905-1908, 2007.
4. Zheng, J., D.-W. Wang, W.-S. Zhao, G. Wang, and W.-Y. Yin, "Modeling of TSV-based solenoid inductors for 3-D integration," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1-3, Suzhou, China, Jul. 2015.
5. Wang, F. and N. Yu, "Simple and accurate inductance model of 3D inductor based on TSV," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 21, 1815-1816, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.2241
6. Gou, S., G. Dong, Z. Mei, and Y. Yang, "Accurate inductance modeling of 3-D inductor based on TSV," IEEE Micro. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 10, 900-902, Oct. 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2867089
7. Xiong, W., G. Dong, Z. Zhu, and Y. Yang, "Compact and physics-based modeling of 3-D inductor based on through silicon via," IEEE Electron Device Lett., Vol. 42, No. 10, 1559-1562, Oct. 2021. doi:10.1109/LED.2021.3107320
8. Mondal, S., S.-B. Cho, and B. C. Kim, "Modeling and crosstalk evaluation of 3-D TSV-based inductor with ground TSV shielding," IEEE Trans. Very Large Scale Integr. (VLSI) Syst., Vol. 25, No. 1, 308-318, Jan. 2017. doi:10.1109/TVLSI.2016.2568755
9. Qu, C., Z. Zhu, Y. En, L. Wang, and X. Liu, "Area-efficient extended 3-D inductor based on TSV technology for RF applications," IEEE Trans. Very Large Scale Integr. (VLSI) Syst., Vol. 29, No. 2, 287-296, Feb. 2021. doi:10.1109/TVLSI.2020.3036385
10. Paul, C. R., Inductance: Loop and Partial, 236-239, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
11. Jayaraman, S. S., V. Vanukuru, D. Nair, and A. Chakravorty, "A scalable, broadband, and physics-based model for on-chip rectangular spiral inductors," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 55, No. 9, 1-6, Art. No. 8402006, Sept. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2019.2916501