Coupled resonators are widely used in the design of cross-coupled filters with dual-passband response and the quasi-elliptic function characteristics. In this paper, we will present a dual-band bandpass filter using only couplings between adjacent resonators, i.e. without cross-couplings. The dual-band bandpass filter with passband centre frequencies of 1747 MHz and 1880 MHz respectively is designed and fabricated using microstrip U-shaped resonators. Using coupled resonator pair as a dual-band cluster, a miniaturised structure is achieved as compared to the conventional topology. The measured responses agree closely with the simulations.
Eugene A. Ogbodo,
Kenneth Siok Kiam Yeo,
"Microstrip Dual-Band Bandpass Filter Using U-Shaped Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 59, 1-6, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL15072303
1. Guan, X., Z. Ma, P. Cai, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, "Synthesis of dual-band filters using successive frequency transformations and circuit conversions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 16, No. 3, 110-112, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.869868
2. Yeo, K. S. K. and M. J. Lancaster, "8 pole high temperature superconductor microstrip dual band bandpass filter design," IEEE MTT-SIMS Digest, 1-4, 2011.
3. Yeo, K. S. K., M. J. Lancaster, and J.-S. Hong, "The design of microstrip six-pole quasi-elliptic filter with linear phase response using extracted-pole technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 2, 321-327, 2002. doi:10.1109/22.903092
4. Zhao, L.-P., D. Li, Z.-X. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with triangular resonators," Progress In Electronics Research, Vol. 77, 417-424, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07090501
5. Miyake, H., S. Kitazawa, T. Yamada, and Y. Nagatomi, "A miniaturised monolithic dual band filter using ceramic lamination technique for dual mode portable telephones," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 789-792, 1997.
6. Tsai, L. C. and C. W. Hsue, "Dual-band bandpass filters using equal-length coupled serial-shunted lines and Z-transform technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1111-1117, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.825680
7. Chang, S. F., Y. H. Jeng, and J. L. Chen, "Dual-band step-impedance bandpass filter for multimode wireless LANs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 38-39, Jan. 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040065
8. Yeo, K. S. K. and A. O. Nwajana, "A novel microstrip dual-band bandpass filter using dual-mode square patch resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 36, 233-247, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12120312
9. Matthaei, G., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech Houston, Boston, 1980.