Compact and simple bandpass filter (BPF) structure using microstrip isosceles triangular patch resonator (ITPR) is proposed. The new filter design technique is based on two main ideas: Firstly, cutting the corners of the triangular structure, to make the filter size more compact. Secondly, etching slit in staircase form near the base of the triangle in order to improve the filter performances. The proposed filter was designed and fabricated on Taconic CER-10 substrate with a relative dielectric constant of 10 and a thickness of 0.64 mm using standard photolithography process. The final dimension of the proposed filter is measured at 5.7 mm×7.6 mm. Measured S-parameters showed that the filter achieves a 3-dB fractional bandwidth of 55% at center frequency of 10.36 GHz, with measured insertion loss of 2.08 dB and measured return loss better than 10 dB. The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated results.
2. Li, J. L., et al., "Dual-mode microstrip bandpass filter using circular patch resonator with two transmission zeros," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 28-30, 2005.
3. Weng, M.-H. and H.-D. Hsueh, "A novel compact dual-mode circular-patch bandpass filter with improved second spurious response," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 3, 203-206, 2005.
4. Singh, Y. K. and A. Chakrabarty, "Miniaturized dual-mode circular patch bandpass filters with wide harmonic separation," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 584-586, 2008.
5. Xiao, J. K., S. P. Li, and Y. Li, "Novel planar bandpass filters using single patch resonators with corner cuts," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1481-1493, 2006.
6. Wang, J., H. Zhang, L.-X. Ma, and H.-Y. Xu, "Study on two compact CPW-FED bandpass filters using dual-mode patch resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 55-61, 2008.
7. Wang, X., W. Ji, and Y. Li, "Microstrip bandpass filter using one single patch resonator with two transmission zeros," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 77, 1255-1256, 2003.
8. Hong, J. S. and S. Li, "Theory and experiment of dual-mode microstrip triangular-patch resonators and filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1237-1243, 2004.
9. Lugo, C. and J. Papapolymerou, "Bandpass filter design using a microstrip triangular loop resonator with dual-mode operation," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 7, 475-477, 2005.
10. Liu, H. W., Z. Q. Cheng, and L. L. Sun, "Dual-mode triangular-patch bandpass filter using spur-lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 13, 762-763, 2006.
11. Xiao, J.-K., Q.-X. Chu, and S. Zhang, "Novel microstrip triangular resonator bandpass filter with transmission zeros and wide bands using fractal-shaped defection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 343-356, 2007.
12. Xiao, J.-K., "Triangular resonator bandpass filter with tunable operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 167-176, 2008.
13. Adam, H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, M. S. Razalli, A. R. H. Alhawari, and B. K. Esfeh, "X-band miniaturized wideband bandpass filter utilizing multilayered microstrip hairpin resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 177-188, 2009.
14. Adam, H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and A. R. H. Alhawari, "Compact wideband bandpass filter using hybrid hairpin and half wave parallel coupled resonator in multilayer microstrip configuration for X-band application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 1855-1865, 2009.
15. Helszajn, J. and D. S. James, "Planar triangular resonators with magnetic walls," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 2, 95-100, 1978.
16. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, 143-144, Artech House, USA, 1982.
17. Computer Simulation Technology (CST) Microwave Studio, Version 2006B,.
18. Taconic advanced dielectric division: http://www.taconic-add.com,.