We have developed an array antenna consisting of 12 elements of simple square-shaped, corner-truncated patches for circularly polarized synthetic aperture radar (CP-SAR) operated in the L-band. The corporate feed design concept is implemented by combining a split-T and a 3-way circular-sector-shape power divider to excite circularly polarized radiation. The fabricated antenna based on the simulation using moment method gives a good circular polarization at the center frequency of 1.27 GHz with an impedance bandwidth of 6.1% and 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth of 1.0%, satisfying the specification for our circularly polarized synthetic aperture radar intended for use onboard an unmanned aerial vehicle and a small satellite.
1. Le Vine, D. M., S. D. Jacob, E. P. Dinnat, P. De Matthaeis, and S. Abraham, "The influence of antenna pattern on faraday rotation in remote sensing at L-band," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 9, 2737-2746, 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.898237
2. Rignot, E. J. M., "Effect of Faraday rotation on L-band interferometric and polarimetric synthetic-aperture radar data," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 1, 383-390, 2000. doi:10.1109/36.823934
3. Le Vine, D. M. and S. Abraham, "The effect of the ionosphere on remote sensing of sea surface salinity from space: absorption and emission at L band ," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40, No. 4, April 2002.
4. Maini, A. K. and V. Agrawal, Satellite Technology: Principles and Applications, John Wiley, England, 2007.
5. Sri Sumantyo, J. T., H. Wakabayashi, A. Iwasaki, F. Takahashi, H. Ohmae, H. Watanabe, R. Tateishi, F. Nishio, M. Baharuddin, and P. Rizki Akbar, "Development of circularly polarized synthetic aperture radar onboard microsatellite," PIERS Proceedings, 382-385, Beijing, China, March 23-27, 2009.
6. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, London, 2001.
7. Baharuddin, M., V. Wissan, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Equilateral triangular microstrip antenna for circularly-polarized synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 107-120, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09052202
8. Baharuddin, M., V. Wissan, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Development of an elliptical annular ring microstrip antenna with sine wave periphery," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 27-36, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC09120203
9. Baharuddin, M., V. Wissan, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Elliptical microstrip antenna for circularly-polarized synthetic aperture radar," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 65, No. 1, 62-67, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2010.01.012
10. Rahim, M. K. A., T. Masri, O. Ayop, and H. A. Majid, Circular polarization array antenna, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, Hong Kong, December 2008.
11. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Increasing the bandwidth of a microstrip antenna by proximity coupling," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, No. 8, 368-369, April 1987. doi:10.1049/el:19870270
12. Rizki Akbar, P., J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "CP-SAR UAV development," International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Science,, Vol. XXXVIII, Part 8, 203-208, Kyoto, Japan, 2010.
13. Rizki Akbar, P., J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "A novel circularly polarized synthetic aperture radar (CP-SAR) onboard spaceborne platform," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1053-1060, 2010. doi:10.1080/01431160903156528
14. Chen, Z. N. and M. Y. W. Chia, Broadband Planar Antennas: Design and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, England, 2006.
15. Hammerstad, E. O., "Equations for microstrip circuit design," 5th European Microwave Conference, 268-272, Hamburg, Germany, 1975. doi:10.1109/EUMA.1975.332206
16. Abouzahra, M. D. and K. C. Gupta, "Multiport power divider-combiner circuits using circular-sector-shaped planar components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 36, No. 12, 1747-1752, December 1988. doi:10.1109/22.17409