A miniaturized triple-band branch-line coupler based on the simplified dual-composite right/left-handed transmission line (S-D-CRLH-TL) is proposed in this paper. The electromagnetic characteristics of S-D-CRLH-TL are analyzed by the simulator and equivalent circuit model, and the results prove that there are three frequencies with phase of -90° in the passbands; this characteristic can be applied in designing triple-band quadrature microwave components. The proposed branch-line coupler is fabricated and measured, the measured and simulated results are in good agreement with each other, showing that the triple-band operating at 3.06 GHz, 4.00 GHz and 5.54 GHz, the useful bandwidths are 2.97 GHz-3.16 GHz, 3.82 GHz-4.12 GHz and 5.48 GHz-5.67 GHz. In addition, compared with the conventional branch-line coupler, the whole size of the proposed one is 17 mm × 14.4 mm (0.173λ × 0.147λ) (λ is the wavelength in low frequency), it realizes a 73% size reduction. Moreover, compared with the triple-band branch-line coupler based on the double-Lorentz transmission line metamaterial, the proposed branch-line coupler is more effective in the situation, which is sensitive to phase-changing, as the sign of phase difference in the two outputs at the three frequency points keeps the same.
2. Zhang, H. and K. J. Chen, "A stub tapped branch line coupler for dual-band operations," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 106-108, 2007.
3. Cheng, K. K. M. and F. L. Wong, "A novel approach to the design and implementation of dual-band compact planar 90o branch-line coupler," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2458-2463, 2004.
4. Bonache, J., G. Siso, M. Gil, A. Iniesta, J. Garciarincon, and F. Martin, "Application of composite right/left-handed (CRLH) transmission lines based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) to the design of dual-band microwave components," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 524-526, 2008.
5. Nguyen, H. V., C. Caloz, and , "Dual-band CRLH branch-line coupler in MIM technology," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 11, 2331-2333, 2006.
6. Lin, Y.-L., T.-Y. Huang, T.-M. Shen, C.-C. Chen, and R.-B. Wu, "Design of compact triple-band branch-line coupler with three arbitrary operating frequencies," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 25-28, 2011.
7. Liou, C.-Y., M.-S. Wu, J.-C. Yeh, Y.-Z. Chueh, S.-G. Mao, and , "A novel triple-band microstrip branch-line coupler with arbitrary operating frequencies," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letter, Vol. 19, 683-685, Nov. 2009.
8. Xu, H.-X., G.-M.Wang, X. Chen, and T.-P. Li, "Broadband balun using fully artificial fractal-shaped composite right/left-handed transmission line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 1, 16-18, 2012.
9. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
10. Dong, Y. D., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, 772-785, 2012.
11. Jin, P. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Multi-frequency, linear and circular polarized, metamaterial-inspired, near field resonant parasitic antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, 1446-1459, 2011.
12. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and J.-Q. Gong, "Compact dual-band zeroth-order resonance antenna," Chinese Physics Letters, Vol. 29, 014101, 2012.
13. Hsu, C.-L., C.-W. Chang, and J.-T. Kuo, "Design of dual-band microstrip rat race coupler with circuit miniaturization," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 177-180, Honolulu, HI, 2007.
14. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, and T.-P. Li, "A compact microstrip diplexer using composite right/left-handed transmission line with enhanced harmonic suppression," Microwave Journal, Vol. 54, No. 11, 112-120, 2011.
15. Cao, W.-Q., B.-N. Zhang, T.-B. Yu, A. J. Liu, S.-J. Zhao, D.-S. Guo, and Z.-D. Song, "Single-feed dual-band dual-mode and dual-polarized microstrip antenna based on metamaterial structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1909-1919, 2011.
16. Rennings, A., T. Liebig, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Double-Lorentz transmission line metamaterial and its application to tri-band devices," IEEE/MTT-S Microwave Symposium, 1427-1430.
17. Wu, G.-C., G.-M. Wang, T. Li, and C. Zhou, "Novel dual-composite right/left-handed transmission line and its application to bandstop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 29-35, 2013.
18. Chiou, Y.-C. and J.-Y. Kuo, "Planar multiband bandpass filter with multimode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 114, 129-144, 2011.
19. Li, B., X. Wu, and W. Wu, "A miniaturized branch-line coupler with wideband harmonics suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 181-189, 2010.
20. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and J.-G. Liang, "Novel CRLH TL metamaterial and compact microstrip branch-line coupler application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 173-186, 2011.
21. Kuo, J.-T. and C.-H. Tsai, "Generalized synthesis of rat race ring coupler and its application to circuit miniaturization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 51-64, 2010.
22. Lu, K., G.-M. Wang, C.-X. Zhang, and Y.-W. Wang, "Design of miniaturized branch-line coupler based on novel spiral-based resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2244-2253, 2011.
23. Dai, G. and M. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010.
24. Wang, Y. X., "Microstrip cross-coupled tri-section stepped impedance bandpass ¯lter with wide stop-band performance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 289-296, 2009.
25. Huang, C.-Y., M.-H. Weng, C.-S. Ye, and Y.-X. Xu, "High band isolation and wide stopband diplexer using dual-mode stepped impendence resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 299-308, 2010.