This paper presents a high-selectivity dual-band bandpass filter with independently-tunable passband frequencies. A tap-coupled structure is utilized to feed the two resonators at lower passband and a coupling structure is used to feed the two resonators at the upper passband. Two pairs of varactor-loaded resonators operating within two different frequency ranges, allow the independent passband frequency tuning. Using this configuration, it is convenient to tune the center frequency of each passband, while the responses of the other passband remain unaltered. Source-load coupling is realized to generate transmission zeros, resulting in high skirt-selectivity. The transmission zeros move synchronously with the passbands, ensuring sharp roll-off rate for all tuning states. To verify the proposed idea, a demonstration microstrip tunable bandpass filter is implemented. The simulated and measured results are presented.
1. Chen, Z.-X., X.-W. Dai, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using double square-loop structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 409-416, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082803
2. Liu, H., L Y. Zhao, L. Shi, and H. Luo, "Dual-band bandpass filter design using open-loop resonators," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 54, 2370-2371, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27080
3. Chen, C. F, T. Y. Huang, and R. B. Wu, "Design of dual-and triple-passband filters using alternately cascaded multiband resonators," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 9, 3550-3558, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.880653
4. Chen, Y. and C. Y. Hsu, "A simple and effective method for microstrip dual-band filters design," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, 246-248, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.873584
5. Weng, M. H., C. H. Kao, and Y. C. Chang, "A compact dual-band bandpass filter with high band selectivity using cross-coupled asymmetric SIRs for WLANs," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 161-168, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735679
6. Ma, D., Z. Y. Xiao, L. Xiang, X. Wu, C. Huang, and X. Kou, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using folded SIR with two stubs for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 357-364, 2011.
7. Ha, J., S. Lee, B.-W. Min, and Y. Lee, "Application of stepped-impedance technique for bandwidth control of dual-band filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 60, No. 7, 2106-2114, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2193412
9. Xu, K.-D., Y.-H. Zhang, C.-L. Zhuge, and Y. Fan, "Miniaturized dual-band bandpass filter using short stub-loaded dual-mode resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2264-2273, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311798147060
10. Wu, G.-L., W. Wu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090301
11. Long, J., C. Z. Li, W. Z. Cui, J. T. Huangfu, and L. X. Ran, "A tunable microstrip bandpass filter with two independently adjustable transmission zeros," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 2, 74-76, 2011.
12. Sekar, V., M. Armendariz, and K. Entesari, "A 1.2-1.6 GHz substrate-integrated-waveguide RF MEMS tunable filter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 866-876, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2109006
13. Zhang, X. Y., Q. Xue, C. H. Chan, and B.-J. Hu, "Low-loss frequency-agile bandpass filters with controllable bandwidth and suppressed second harmonic," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1557-1564, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2048250
14. Li, Y. C. and Q. Xue, "Tunable balanced bandpass filter with constant bandwidth and high common-mode suppression," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, No. 10, 2452-2460, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2161325
15. Miller, A. and J.-S. Hong, "Wideband bandpass filter with reconfigurable bandwidth," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 1, 28-30, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2035958
16. Chen, J.-X., J. Shi, Z.-H. Bao, and Q. Xue, "Tunable and switchable bandpass filters using slot-line resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 25-41, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10100808
17. Saha, S. C., U. Hanke, H. Sagberg, T. A. Fjeldly, and T. Saeher, "Tunable band-pass filter using RF MEMS capacitance and transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 23, 233-247, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11070607
18. Wang, S. and R.-X. Wang, "A tunable bandpass filter using Q-enhanced and semi-passive inductors at S-band in 0.18-μm CMOS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 55-73, 2011.
19. Gharbi, R., H. Zairi, T. Hichem, and H. Baudrand, "Tunable lowpass filters using folded slots etched in the ground plan," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 65-78, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09012706
20. Moghimi, M. J., H. Ghafoori-Fard, and A. Rostami, "Multi-wavelengths optical switching and tunable filters using dynamic superimposed photorefractive Bragg grating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 129-142, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08041302
21. Sun, J. S., N. Kaneda, Y. Baeyens, T. Itoh, and Y.-K. Chen, "Multilayer planar tunable filter with very wide tuning bandwidth," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, No. 11, 2864-2871, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2163201
22. Zhang, X. Y. and Q. Xue, "Novel centrally loaded resonators and their applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 4, 913-921, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.919648
23. Dirbau, D., A. Lazaro, A. Perez, E. Martinez, L. Pradell, and R. Villarino, "Tunable dual-band resonators for communication systems," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 2, 245-253, 2010.
24. Djournessi, E. E., M. Chaker, and K. Wu, "Varactor-tuned quarter-wavelength dual-bandpass filter," IET Microw. Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 117-124, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080040