In this article, a compact planar inverted-F antenna with a wide frequency band for WLAN, Bluetooth, HiperLAN, LTE2500, and WiMAX applications in mobile handsets is proposed. The designed PIFA provides two operating bands at 2.5 GHz with a bandwidth of 300 MHz (13%) and at 5.2 GHz with a bandwidth of 5700 MHz (76%). The dual-band performance and the improved bandwidths are realized by two techniques: the integration of a T-shaped slot in the radiating patch of the antenna and the addition of two elements in the side of the PIFA. The two operating bands of the antenna are controlled by adjusting the size of slot and the size of elements 1 and 2. The distribution of the specific absorption rate (SAR) of 1-g and 10-g in the head of human tissues for two positions of the antenna at 2.5 GHz and 5.2 GHz is also studied. The results of simulation and measurement of the proposed antenna are presented and discussed.
2. Morishita, H., Y. Kim, and K. Fujimoto, "Design concept of antennas for small mobile terminals and the future perspective," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 5, 30-43, 2002.
3. Taga, T. and K. Tsunekawa, "Performance analysis of a built-in planar inverted-F antenna for 800MHz band portable radio units," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 5, No. 5, 921-929, 1987.
4. Hall, P. S., E. Lee, and C. T. P. Song, Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications, Chapter: Planar Inverted-F Antennas, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd, 2007.
5. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and M.-Z. Hong, "A Compact quad-band pifa by tuning the defected ground structure for mobile phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 24, 173-189, 2010.
6. Gomez-Villanueva, R., R. Linares-y-Miranda, J. A. Tirado-Mendez, and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "Ultra-wideband planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for mobile phone frequencies and ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 43, 109-120, 2013.
7. Chattha, H. T., Y. Huang, and Y. Lu, "PIFA bandwidth enhancement by changing the widths of feed and shorting plates," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 637-640, 2009.
8. Ibnyaich, S., A. Ghammaz, and M. M. Hassani, "Planar inverted-F antenna with J-shaped slot and parasitic element for ultra-wide band application," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 4, No. 06, 613-621, 2012.
9. Chattha, H. T., Y. Huang, Y. Lu, and X. Zhu, "Further bandwidth enhancement of PIFA by adding a parasitic element," Antennas Propagation Conference, LAPC, 213-216, Loughborough, 2009.
10. Gomez-Villanueva, R., R. Linares-y-Miranda, J. A. Tirado-Mndez, and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "Very broadband PIFA antenna for mobile communications and ultrawideband services," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 2, 313-316, 2014.
11. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 1, 226-229, 2003.
12. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Cabedo, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Multiband handset antenna using slots on the ground plane: Considerations to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009.
13. Man, M. Y., R. Yang, Z. Y. Lei, Y. J. Xie, and J. Fan, "Ultra-wideband planar inverted-F antennas with cut-etched ground plane," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 14, 817-818, 2012.
14. Elsadek, H. and D. M. Nashaat, "Multiband and UWB V-shaped antenna configuration for wireless communications applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 89-91, 2008.
15. Saluja, N. and R. Khanna, "Design, analysis, and fabrication of a novel multiband folded edge compact size fractal PIFA for WiFi/LTE/WiMAX/WLAN application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 12, 2836-2841, 2014.
16. Janapsatya, J., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "A dual-band and wideband planar inverted-F antenna for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 1, 138-141, 2008.
17. Row, J. S., "Experimental studies of the dual-band planar inverted-F antenna with a U-shaped slot," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 5, 359-336, 2003.
18. Han, Y.-N., Y.-H. Lu, N. Liu, and P.-F. He, "SAR distribution in visible human head exposure to the field radiated by crt computer monitors," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT’07, 1-4, 2007.
19. Watanabe, S., M. Taki, T. Nojima, and O. Fujiwara, "Characteristics of the SAR distributions in a head exposed to electromagnetic fields radiated by a hand-held portable radio," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 10, 1874-1883, 1996.
20. Khodabakhshi, H. and A. Cheldavi, "Numerical analysis of human head interaction with PIFA antennas in cellular mobile communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 359-377, 2010.
21. Montaser, A. M., K. R. Mahmoud, and A. H. Elmikati, "An interaction study between PIFAs handset antenna and a human hand-head in personal communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 21-42, 2012.