In this paper, the analysis and design of a compact Multiple Split Ring Resonator (MSRR) inspired microstrip rectangular patch antenna is presented. The MSRR is used with four rings. The size of the antenna is 25 × 31 × 1.6 mm3 realized on a low cost FR4 substrate. The proposed rectangular microstrip patch antenna operates at the resonant frequency of 5.88 GHz prior to MSRR inclusion. The antenna characteristics are studied before and after inclusion of metamaterial. After including MSRRs at appropriate places, the proposed MSRR antenna induces a new resonant frequency of 2.78 GHz. In addition to rectangular patch's fundamental resonance, the additional resonance is obtained at 2.78 GHz, thus, exhibits dual bands. Hence, MSRR loading antenna attains a bandwidth of 197 MHz at 2.78 GHz and 703 MHz at 5.88 GHz. The prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated and measured. Simulated results are verified with the measured ones. This proposed antenna can be effectively utilized for WLAN and RF-ID applications. Parametric studies are illustrated to yield the desired frequency bands. Equivalent circuit model analysis of the MSRR loading is determined. Band characteristics of split ring structure are used to determine the negative permeability characteristics.
2. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp, Vol. 10, 509-14, 1968.
3. Christophe, C. and I. Tatsuo, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 2005.
4. Marques, R., F. Martina, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, Wiley-Inter Science, 2007.
5. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetismfrom conductors and enhanced nolinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Technology, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
6. Smith, D. R., D. C. Viker, N. Kroll, and S. Schultz, "Direct calculation of permeability and permittivity for a left-handed metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 77, 2246-2248, 2000.
7. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physics Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
8. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, L. Vegni, K. Aydin, K. B. Alice, and E. Ozbay, "Equivalent circuit models for the design of metamaterials based on artificial magnetic inclusions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Technology, Vol. 55, 2865-2872, 2007.
9. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2271-2285, 2012.
10. Si, L.-M., H.-J. Sun, Y. Yuan, and X. Lv, "CPW-fed compact planar UWB antenna with circular disc and spiral split ring resonators," PIERS Proceedings, 502-505, Beijing, China, March 23-27, 2009.
11. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Broadband monopole antenna with split ring resonator loaded substrate for good impedance matching," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2388-2392, 2014.
12. Ji, J. K., G. H. Kim, and W. M. Seong, "Bandwidth enhancement of metamaterial antennas based on composite right/left handed transmission line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 36-39, 2010.
13. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonator loaded ground plane for gain enhancement," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 292-296, 2015.
14. Joshi, J. G., S. S. Pattnaik, S. Devi, and M. R. Lohokare, "Frequency switching of electrically small patch antenna using metamaterial loading," Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 40, 159-165, June 2011.
15. Basaran, S. C. and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary split ring resonators for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electron Letters, Vol. 49, No. 10, 636-638, 2013.
16. Liu, H.-W., C.-H. Ku, and C.-F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation. Letters, Vol. 9, 240-243, 2010.
17. Yang, K., H. Wang, Z. Lei, Y. Xie, and H. Lai, "CPW-fed slot antenna with triangular SRR terminated feed line for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, 685-686, 2011.
18. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, Y. H. Cui, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Analysis and design of a compact dual-band directional antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 547-550, 2012.
19. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "A CPW-fed triple band OCSRR embedded monopole antenna with modified ground for WLAN and Wi-Max applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 2413-2418, 2015.
20. Sharma, S. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Dual-band metamaterial-inspired antenna for Mobile applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 1444-1447, 2015.
21. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "A compact asymmetric monopole antenna with electrically coupled SRR for WiMAX/WLAN/UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 2194-2197, 2015.
22. Imaculate Rosaline, S. and S. Raghavan, "A compact dual band antenna with an ENG SRR cover for SAR reduction," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 741-747, 2015.
23. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "Trapezoidal ring quad-band fractal antenna for WLAN/WIMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2545-2548, 2014.
24. Kaur, J. and R. Khanna, "Development of dual-band microstrip patch antenna for WLAN/MIMO/WIMAX/ AMSAT/WAVE applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 988-993, 2014.
25. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Broadband monopole antenna with split ring resonator loaded substrate for good impedance matching," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2388-2392, 2014.
26. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2005.
27. Matin, M. A. and A. I. Sayeed, "A design rule for inset-fed rectangular microstrip patch antenna," WSEAS Transactions on Communications, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2010.
28. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Review B, Vol. 65, 195104-195109, 2002.
29. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
30. Chen, H., J. Zhang, Y. Bai, Y. Luo, L. Ran, Q. Jiang, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterials based on a waveguide method," Optical Express, Vol. 14, 12944-12949, 2006.