In this paper, we present a novel design for an end-fire antenna, which generalizes the concept of conventional Yagi-Uda antenna by introducing multiple driven elements. Through using the method of maximum power transmission efficiency, the optimal distribution of excitations for the multiple driven elements can be obtained, and the end-fire gain of the array can be significantly improved in comparison with the conventional Yagi-Uda antenna with a single driven element. In order to demonstrate the new idea, two different types of antenna arrays are designed and fabricated. The first design uses a split-ring resonator (SRR) as radiating element. Compared to similar planar Yagi-Uda SRR antenna arrays previously reported, the number of antenna elements can be reduced from fifteen to eight, and the longitudinal dimension is significantly reduced by 46% while the same performances are maintained with the gain reaching 11.7 dBi at 5.5 GHz. In the second design, printed half-wavelength dipoles are used as the antenna elements. It is shown that an eight-element dipole array with four driven elements has a peak gain of 13.4 dBi at 2.45 GHz, which is 1.8 dB higher than the conventional printed Yagi-Uda dipole antenna array with the same number of elements.
2. Uda, S., "On the wireless beam of short electric waves," J. Inst. Elect. Eng., Vol. 472, 1209-1219, Nov. 1927.
3. Yagi, H., "Beam transmission of the ultra short waves," Proc. IRE, Vol. 16, No. 6, 715-741, Jun. 1928.
4. Cheng, D. K. and C. A. Chen, "Optimum element spacings for Yagi-Uda arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 21, No. 5, 615-623, Sep. 1973.
5. Chen, C. A. and D. K. Cheng, "Optimum element lengths for Yagi-Uda arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 23, No. 1, 8-15, Jan. 1975.
6. Huang, J., "Planar microstrip Yagi array antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 894-897, Jun. 1989.
7. Densmore, A. and J. Huang, "Microstrip Yagi antenna for mobile satellite service," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 616-619, Jun. 1991.
8. Huang, J. and A. Densmore, "Microstrip Yagi antenna for mobile satellite vehicle application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 7, 1024-1030, Jul. 1991.
9. Ke, S. and K. Wong, "Rigorous analysis of rectangular microstrip antennas with parasitic patches," IEEE Antennas Propag. Society Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 968-971, Jun. 1995.
10. Gray, D., J. Lu, and D. Thiel, "Electronically steerable Yagi-Uda microstrip patch antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 5, 605-608, May 1998.
11. Deal, W. R., N. Kaneda, J. Sor, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A new quasi-Yagi antenna for planar active antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 48, No. 6, 910-918, Jun. 2000.
12. Grajek, P. R., B. Schoenlinner, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 24 GHz high-gain Yagi-Uda antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1257-1261, May 2004.
13. De Jean, G. and M. Tentzeris, "A new high-gain microstrip Yagi array antenna with a high frontto- back (F/B) ratio for WLAN and millimeter wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 298-304, Feb. 2007.
14. Liu, J. H. and Q. Xue, "Microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi array antenna with endfire radiation and vertical polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1140-1147, Mar. 2013.
15. Ding, Y., Y. C. Jiao, B. Li, and L. Zhang, "Folded triple-frequency quasi-Yagi-type antenna with modified CPW-to-CPS transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 143-152, 2013.
16. Wang, Z. D., X. L. Liu, Y. Z. Yin, J. H. Wang, and Z. Li, "A novel design of folded dipole for broadband printed Yagi-Uda antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 23-30, 2014.
17. Wang, H., S. F. Liu, W. T. Li, and X. W. Shi, "Design of a wideband planar microstrip-fed quasi-Yagi antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 46, 19-24, 2014.
18. Zhang, S., Z. Tang, and Y. Yin, "Wideband planar printed quasi-Yagi antenna with band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 48, 137-143, 2014.
19. Hu, Z. X., Z. X. Shen, W. Wu, and J. Lu, "Low-profile top-hat monopole Yagi antenna for end-fire radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 7, 2851-2857, Jul. 2015.
20. Hu, Z. X., W. W.Wang, Z. X. Shen, and W.Wu, "Low-profile helical quasi-Yagi antenna array with multibeams at the endfire direction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1241-1244, May 2017.
21. Yeo, J. and J. I. Lee, "Bandwidth enhancement of double-dipole quasi-yagi antenna using stepped slotline structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 694-697, Mar. 2016.
22. Wu, Y., M. Qu, L. Jiao, Y. Liu, and Z. Ghassemlooy, "Graphene-based Yagi-Uda antenna with reconfigurable radiation patterns," AIP Advances, Vol. 6, No. 065308, 1-11, 2016.
23. Zhao, T. H., Y. Xiong, X. Yu, and H. H. Chen, "A broadband planar quasi-Yagi antenna with a modified bow-tie driver for multi-band 3G/4G applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 59-67, 2017.
24. Xu, K. D., D. T. Li, Y. H. Liu, and Q. H. Liu, "Printed quasi-yagi antennas using double dipoles and stub-loaded technique for multi-band and broadband applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 31695-31702, Mar. 2018.
25. Aguila, P., S. Zuffanelli, G. Zamora, F. Paredes, F. Martın, and J. Bonache, "Planar yagi-uda antenna array based on split-ring resonators (SRRs)," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1233-1236, May 2017.
26. Cai, X., W. Geyi, and H. C. Sun, "A printed dipole array with high gain and endfire radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1512-1515, Jun. 2017.
27. Wen, G., Foundations of Applied Electrodynamics, 273-275, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
28. Wen, G., Foundations for Radio Frequency Engineering, 410-420, World Scientific, 2015.
29. Jiang, Y. H., W. Geyi, L. S. Yang, and H. C. Sun, "Circularly-polarized focused microstrip antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 52-55, Feb. 2016.
30. Sun, H. C. and W. Geyi, "Optimum design of wireless power transmission systems in unknown electromagnetic environments," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 20198-20206, Oct. 2017.
31. Wan, W., W. Geyi, and S. Gao, "Optimum design of low-cost dual-mode beam-steerable arrays for customer-premises equipment applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 16092-16098, Mar. 2018.
32. Cai, X. and W. Geyi, "An optimization method for the synthesis of flat-top radiation patterns in the near- and far-field regions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 2, 980-987, Feb. 2019.
33. Zuffanelli, S., G. Zamora, P. Aguila, F. Paredes, F. Martın, and J. Bonache, "On the radiation properties of split-ring resonators (SRRs) at the second resonance," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 63, No. 7, 2133-2141, Jul. 2015.