Combined ground penetrating radar and metal detector equipment are now available (e.g., MINEHOUND, ERA Technology- Vallon GmbH) for landmine detection. The performance of the radar detector is influenced by the electromagnetic characteristics of the soil. In this paper we present an experimental procedure that uses the same equipment for the detection and calibration by means of signal processing procedures for the estimation of the relative permittivity of the soil. The experimental uncertainties of this method are also reported.
2. Cross, G., D. Benson, J. D. Redman, A. P. Annan, and Y. Das, "GPR for anti-personnel landmine detection: Results of experimental and theoretical studies ," SPIE: Detection and Remediation Technologies for Mines and Minelike Targets VIII (OR48), 21-25, Orlando, Florida, April 2003.
3. Druyts, P., A. Merz, M. Peichl, and G. Triltzsch, "HOPE: raising the reliability of mine detection through an innovative a handheld multi-sensor (MD, GPR, MWR) mine detector prototype with imaging capabilities," Proceedings of PIERS 2003, Singapore, January 2003.
4. Ishikawa, J., M. Kiyota, and K. Furuta, "Evaluation of test results of GPR-based anti-personnel landmine detection systems mounted on robotic vehicles ," Proc. of the IARP International Workshop on Robotics and Mechanical Assistance in Humanitarian Demining (HUDEM2005), 39-44, 2005.
5. Rhebergen , J. B. and J. M. Ralston, "Test and evaluation protocols for GPR-based mine-detection systems: A proposal," Detection and Remediation Technologies for Mines and Minelike Targets X, Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 5794, 941-952, 2005.
6. Schoolderman, A. J. and J. H. J. Roosenboom, "Detection performance assessment of hand-held mine detection systems in a procurement process:Test set-up for MDs and MD/GPRs," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5794, 2005.
7. Francisca, F. M. and V. A. Rinaldi, "Complex dielectric permittivity of soil-organic mixtures 20 MHz–1.3 GHz," Journal of Environmental Engineering, ,ASCE, 347-357, April, 2003.
8. Hendrickx, J. M. H., B. Borchers, J. Woolslayer, L. W. Dekker, C. Ritsema, and S. Paton, "Spatial variability of dielectric properties in field soils," Detection and Remediation Technologies for Mines and Minelike Targets VI, Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 4394, 398-408, 2001.
9. Final business plan for a CEN workshop on humanitarian mine action — test and evaluation — metal detectors — Part 2: Soil characterisation for metal detector and ground penetrating radar performance, 2006.
10. Daniels, D. J., Surface-penetrating Radar, Institution of Electrical Engineers Radar Series, ERA Technology, ISBN 0-85296-862, No. 6, London, 1996.