A miniaturized crossed-dipole fractal antenna with circular polarization is presented in this letter. The radiating elements of the antenna were built as the Koch curve, and the antenna was mounted on a specially designed ground plane. Furthermore, the influence of fractal dimension to bandwidth and axial ratio of fractal antenna is also experimentally studied. The bandwidth of the VSWR≤ 1.5:1 within 3dB axial ratio for the fractal antenna is about 5.98%. The measured results show that the proposed fractal antennas have good circular polarization property, efficiency and 23.4-33.5% size reduction comparing with the conventional crossed-dipole antenna. The tested results are in good agreement with that of the simulations.
2. Trinh-Van, S., H. B. Kim, G. Kwon, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized spidron fractal slot antenna arrays for broadband satellite communications in Ku-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 203-218, 2013.
3. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "Wideband circularly polarized E-shaped patch antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 5, 219-229, Oct. 2010.
4. Lin, Y.-F., Y.-K. Wang, H.-M. Chen, and Z.-Z. Yang, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna with phase delay lines for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1221-1227, Mar. 2012.
5. Wang, P., G. Wen, J. Li, Y. Huang, L. Yang, and Q. Zhang, "Wideband circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio beamwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 365-385, 2012.
6. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
7. Bao, X. L., G. Ruvio, M. J. Ammann, and M. John, "A novel GPS patch antenna on a fractal Hi-impedance surface substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 323-326, Dec. 2006.
8. Jibrael, F. J., "Multiband cross dipole antenna based on the triangular and quadratic fractal Koch curve," International Journal of Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2010.
9. Jibrael, F. J., W. S. Mummo, and M. T. Yaseen, "Multiband cross fractal dipole antenna for UHF and SHF applications," 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Wireless Communications, Networking and Information Security, 219-223, Jun. 2010.
10. Cebik, L. B., "The turnstile antenna. An omni-directional horizontally polarized antenna,", http://www.cebik.com/turns.html.
11. Qiu, J., B. Zhao, and L. Zhong, "A kind of new minimize technology of circular polarization antenna," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1-3, Apr. 2007.
12. Bolster, M. F., "A new type of circular polarizer using crossed dipoles," IRE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 9, No. 5, 385-388, Sep. 1961.
13. Mandelbrot, B. B., The Fractal Geometry of Nature, Freeman, New York, 1983.
14. Puente, C., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "Fractal-shaped antennas," Frontiers in Electromagnetics, 48-93, D. H. Werner and R. Mittra, Eds., 1999.
15. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and application," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, Feb. 2002.
16. Anguera, J., E. Martinez, C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Broad-band triple-frequency microstrip patch radiator combing a dual-band modified Sierpinski fractal and a monoband antenna," EEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3367-3373, Nov. 2006.
17. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-shaped antenna: A review," Wiley Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, Vol. 2, 1620-1635, 2005.
18. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, and D. Wake, "Sierpinski monopole antenna with controlled band spacing and input impedance," IEE Electronic Letters, Vol. 35, No. 13, 1036-1037, Jun. 1999.
19. Anguera, J., J. P. Daniel, C. Borja, J. Mumbru, C. Puente, T. Leduc, N. Laeveren, and P. Van Roy, "Metallized foams for fractal-shaped microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 6, 20-38, Dec. 2008.
20. Li, D. and J. Mao, "Koch-like sided Sierpinski Gasket multifractal dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 399-427, 2012.
21. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, Nov. 2000.
22. Yu, Z.-W., G.-M. Wang, X.-J. Gao, and K. Lu, "A novel small-size single patch microstrip antenna based on koch and sierpinski fractal-shapes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 95-103, 2010.
23. Karim, M. N. A., M. K. Abd Rahim, H. A. Majid, O. B. Ayop, M. Abu, and F. Zubir, "Log periodic fractal Koch antenna for UHF band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 201-218, 2010.
24. Chen, W. L., G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Small-size microstrip patch antennas combining Koch and Sierpinski fractal-shapes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 7, 738-741, 2008.
25. Kordzadeh, A. and F. Hojjat-Kashani, "A new reduced size microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 29-37, 2009.
26. Lin, S., X. Liu, and X.-R. Ma, "Design and analysis of a novel CPW-FED Koch fractal Yagi-Uda antenna with small electric length," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 67-79, 2012.
27. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "Sierpinskized Koch-like sided multifractal dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 207-224, 2012.
28. Vinoy, K. J., J. K. Abraham, and V. K. Varadan, "On the relationship between fractal dimension and the performance of multi-resonant dipole antennas using Koch curves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2296-2303, Sep. 2003.