In this work, we propose a merged coil structure for wireless chip-to-chip communication technology. Using the proposed coil structure, the chip size can be reduced, and the transmitted power can be improved by approximately 5 dB compared to typical coil structure. To verify the feasibility of the coil, an electromagnetic simulation and a schematic simulation are performed. The coil was implemented using 50-nm digital CMOS technology. From the experimental results, the feasibility was proved.
2. Lu, J.-Q., "3-D hyperintegration and packaging technologies for micronano systems," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 1, 18-30, Jan. 2009.
3. Xu, Z. and J.-Q. Lu, "Three-dimensional coaxial through-silicon-via (TSV) design," IEEE Electron. Device Letters, Vol. 33, No. 10, 1441-1443, Oct. 2012.
4. Yang, J.-R., H.-C. Son, and Y.-J. Park, "A class-E power amplifier with coupling coils for a wireless power transfer system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 35, 13-22, 2013.
5. Yuan, N., C. R. Liu, and X. Nie, "Electromagnetic field of arbitrarily oriented coil antennas in coplex underground environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 261-282, 2012.
6. Babic, S. I., C. Akyel, Y. Ren, and W. Chen, "Magnetic force calculation between circular coils of rectangular cross section with parallel axes for superconducting magnet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 275-288, 2012.
7. Park, C., J. Han, H. Kim, and S. Hong, "A 1.8-GHz CMOS power amplifier using a dual-primary transformer with improved efficiency in the low power region," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 4, 782-792, Apr. 2008.
8. Danesh, M. and J. R. Long, "Differentially driven symmetric microstrip inductors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 1, 332-341, Jan. 2002.
9. Kang, B., H. Hwang, and C. Park, "Differential transformer using bonder-wires and patterns on a printed circuit board for RF circuit applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 363-371, 2013.
10. Park, C., D. H. Lee, J. Han, and S. Hong, "Tournament-shaped magnetically coupled power-combiner architecture for RF CMOS power amplifier," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2034-2042, Oct. 2007.
11. Aoki, I., S. D. Kee, D. B. Rutledge, and A. Hajimiri, "Distributed active transformer --- A new power-combining and impedance-transformation technique," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 1, 316-331, Jan. 2002.
12. Brandao Faria, J. A. M., "The effect of power-line sagged conductors on the evaluation of the differential voltage in a nearby circuit at ground level," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 24, 209-220, 2012.