In this paper, a new Yagi-Uda substrate is proposed to obtain radar cross section (RCS) reduction. The Yagi-Uda substrate on which three kinds of metal microstrip lines are etched is put directly on the top of a patch antenna and can reduce RCS sharply by steering the direction of reflecting wave at resonant frequencies. Using a reconfiguration technique, the antenna can radiate without the substrate's effects. When the antenna does not need to work, the Yagi-Uda substrate works to reduce the RCS of the antenna. Besides, the resonant frequencies can be shifted by reconfiguring the Yagi-Uda substrate, so the RCS can be reduced in a broad frequency band.
"Reconfigurable Yagi-Uda Substrate for RCS Reduction of Patch Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 11, 173-187, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08120101
1. Gustafsson, M., "RCS reduction of integrated antenna arrays with resistive sheets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 27-40, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777323
2. Volakis, J. L., A. Alexanian, and J. M. Lin, "Broadband RCS reduction of rectangular patch by using distributed loading," Electronics Letter, Vol. 28, No. 25, 2322-2323, December 1992.
3. Jackson, D. R., "The RCS of a rectangular microstrip patch in a substrate-superstrate geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 1, 2-8, January 1990. doi:10.1109/8.43583
4. Wilsen, C. B., et al., "The RCS reduction of microstrip patch antennas," Antennas and Propagation Tenth International Conference, No. 1, 174-177, April 1997.
5. Zhao, S. C., B. Z. Wang, and Q. Q. He, "Broadband radar cross section reduction of a rectangular patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 263-275, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07101002
6. Pozar, D. M., "Radar cross-section of microstrip antenna on normally biased ferrite substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 16, 1079-1080, August 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890722
7. Yang, H. Y., J. A. Castaneda, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Multifunctional antennas with low RCS," IEEE 1992 Antennas and Propagat. Symp., No. 4, 2240-2243, July 1992. doi:10.1109/APS.1992.221416
8. Harackiewicz, F. J., "Plane wave scattering from infinite microstrip arrays on ferrite substrates," IEEE 1990 Antennas and Propagat. Symp., No. 1, 417-420, May 1990.
9. Pozar, D. M., "RCS reduction for a microstrip antenna using a normally biased ferrite substrate," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 2, No. 5, 196-198, May 1992. doi:10.1109/75.134353
10. Collardey, S., et al., "Use of electromagnetic band-gap materials for RCS reduction," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 6, 546-550, March 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20693
11. Chambers, B. and A. Tennant, "General analysis of the phase-switched screen, Part 1: The single layer case," Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 149, No. 5, 243-247, October 2002. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20020534
12. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "Experimental phase modulating planar screen," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 11, 1143-1144, May 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980803
13. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "A single-layer tuneable microwave absorber using an active FSS," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 1, 46-47, January 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.820639
14. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "Adaptive radar absorbing structure with PIN diode controlled active frequency elective surface," Smart Materials and Structures, No. 13, 122-125, 2004. doi:10.1088/0964-1726/13/1/013
15. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "Controlled scattering from PEC surface using PSS boundary," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 15, 780-781, July 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020563
16. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "RCS reduction of spiral patch antenna using a PSS boundary," Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 153, No. 4, 248-252, August 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20045048
17. Izadpanah, H., B. Warneke, R. Loo, and G. Tangonan, "Reconfigurable low power, linght weight wireless system based on the RF MEM switches," Technologies for Wireless Applications, Digest. 1999, IEEE MTT-S Symposium, 175-180, February 1999. doi:10.1109/MTTTWA.1999.755158
18. James, C. M., P. K. Morris, M. L. Lisa, N. P. Lon, T. L. Fountain, and H. Paul, "Switched fragmented aperture antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Sym. IEEE, Vol. 1, 310-313, July 2002.