In this paper, we first review the Phase Extracted (PE) basis functions by recalling the derivation which shows that the induced current on a PEC surface has the propagating phase factor the same as the incident wave in a scattering problem. The wide band characteristic of this PE basis functions has been investigated by demonstrating that very wide band radar response from PEC objects can be simulated accurately by using PE bases, only based on a single coarse mesh grid. Besides, the resulted current coefficients are shown to vary slowly and smoothly with frequency changing and can be interpolated and extrapolated in very wide band easily. The piecewise cubic Hermite interpolation/extrapolation method with respect to the current coefficients is used to obtain the coefficients in the frequency band of interest. Numerical examples demonstrate very good accuracy and high efficiency in wide band radar response prediction in terms of the amplitude of the scattering field as well as its phase distribution.
"Simulating Wide Band Radar Response from PEC Targets Using Phase Extracted Basis Functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 13, 409-431, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09020802
1. Reddy, C. J., M. D. Deshpande, C. R. Cockrell, and F. B. Beck moments in conjunction with asymptotic waveform evaluation technique, "Fast RCS computation over a frequency band using method of ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 8, 1229-1233, Aug. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.718579
2. Erdemli, Y. E., J. Gong, C. J. Reddy, and J. L. Volakis, "Fast RCS pattern fill using AWE technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1752-1753, Nov. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.736639
3. Adve, R. S., T. K. Sarkar, S. M. Rao, E. K. Miller, and D. R. Pflug, "Application of the cauchy method for extrapolating/interpolating narrow-band system responses," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 5, 837-845, May 1997. doi:10.1109/22.575608
4. Yang, J. and T. K. Sarkar, "Interpolation/extrapolation of radar cross-section (RCS) data in the frequency domain using the cauchy method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2844-2851, Oct. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904063
5. Tong, C., N. Yuan, Y. Cao, and W. Hong, "A fast frequency sweeping method for RCS computation based on the rational interpolation technique," 2002 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 2002.
6. Miller, E. K., "Model-based parameter estimation in electromagnetics: Part I. Background and theoretical development," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 40, No. 1, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1109/74.667326
7. Miller, E. K., "Model-based parameter estimation in electromagnetics: Part II. Applications to EM observables," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 40, No. 2, Apr. 1998. doi:10.1109/74.683542
8. Miller, E. K., "Model-based parameter estimation in electromagnetics: Part III. Applications to EM integral equations," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 40, No. 3, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/74.706084
9. Newman, E. H., "Generation of wide-band data from the method of moments by interpolating the impedance matrix," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 36, No. 12, 1820-1824, Dec. 1988. doi:10.1109/8.14404
10. Yeo, J. and R. Mittra, "Fast computation of MOM matrix elements over a wide frequency range using a new interpolation technique," IEEE MTT-S, Vol. 3, 1979-1982, 2003.
11. Prakash, V. V. S., "RCS computation over a frequency band using the characteristic basis and model order reduction method," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 89-92, 2003.
12. Rui, P. L., R. S. Chen, Z. W. Liu, and Y. N. Gan, "Schwarz-Krylov subspace method for MLFMM analysis of electromagnetic wave scattering problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 82, 51-63, 2008.
13. Zhang, Y. J. and E. P. Li, "Fast multipole accelerated scattering matrix method for multiple scattering of a large number of cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 72, 105-126, 2007.
14. Wan, J. X., T. M. Xiang, and C. H. Liang, "The fast multipole algorithm for analysis of large-scale microstrip antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 49, 239-255, 2004.
15. Pan, Y. C. and W. C. Chew, "A fast multipole method for embedded structure in a stratified medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 44, 1-38, 2004.
16. Lu, C. C., "A simple extrapolation method based on current for rapid frequency and angle sweep in far-field calculation of an integral equation algorithm," IEEE/ACES International Conference on Wireless Communications and Applied Computational Electromagnetics, 333-336, 2005. doi:10.1109/WCACEM.2005.1469594
17. Lu, C. C., "An extrapolation method based on current for rapid frequency and angle sweeps in far-field calculation in an integral equation algorithm," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 21, No. 1, 90-98, Mar. 2006.
18. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, S., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and Z. Masouri, "A moment method simulation of electromagnetic scattering from conducting bodies ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 81, 99-119, 2008.
19. Wang, S., X. Guan, D.Wang, X. Ma, and Y. Su, "Electromagnetic scattering by mixed conducting/dielectric objects using higher order MOM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 66, 51-63, 2006.
20. Li, C. and Z. Shen, "Electromagnetic scattering by a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 42, 91-105, 2003.
21. Yuan, H. W., S. X. Gong, X. Wang, and W. T. Wang, "Scattering analysis of a printed dipole antenna using PBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 189-195, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102302
22. Varmazyar, S. H. and M. N. Moghadasi, "An integral equation modeling of electromagnetic scattering from the surfaces of arbitrary resistance distribution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 157-172, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121404
23. Varmazyar, S. H. and M. N. Moghadasi, "New numerical method for determining the scattered electromagnetic fields from thin wires," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 207-218, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121303
24. Nie, Z., S. Yan, S. He, and J. Hu, "On the basis functions with traveling wave phase factor for efficient analysis of scattering from electrically large targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, 83-114, 2008.
25. Graglia, R. D., D. R. Wilton, and A. F. Peterson, "Higher order interpolatory vector bases for computational electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 3, 329-342, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.558649
26. Wilkes, D. L. and C. C. Cha, "Method of moments solution with parametric curved triangular patches," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 1512-1515, Jun. 1991.
27. Zhu, N. Y. and F. M. Landstorfer, "Application of curved parametric triangular and quadrilateral edge elements in the moment solution of the EFIE," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 3, No. 9, 319-321, Sep. 1993. doi:10.1109/75.244865
28. Brown, W. J. and D. R. Wilton, "Singular basis functions and curvilinear triangles in the solution of the electric field integral equation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 2, 347-353, Feb. 1999. doi:10.1109/8.761075
29. Fritsch, F. N. and R. E. Carlson, "Monotone piecewise cubic nterpolation," SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, Vol. 17, 238-246, 1980. doi:10.1137/0717021
30. De Boor, C., A Practical Guide to Splines, Springer-Verlag, 1978.