This paper presents a graphics processing based implementation of the Finite-Difference Frequency-Domain (FDFD) method, which uses a central finite differencing scheme for solving Maxwell's equations for electromagnetics. The radar cross section for different structures in 2D and 3D has been calculated using the FDFD method. The FDFD code has been implemented for the CPU calculations and the same code is implemented for the GPU calculations using the Brook+ developed by AMD. The solution obtained by using the GPU based-code showed more than 40 times speed over the CPU code.
"Electromagnetic Scattering Using GPU-Based Finite Difference Frequency Domain Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 16, 351-369, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09060703
5. Inman, M. J. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Optimization and parameter exploration using GPU based FDTD solvers," IEEE MTT-S Symposium, 149-152, June 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1608730
6. Inman, M. J. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Programming video cards for computational electromagnetics applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 47, 71-78, 2005.
7. Inman, M. J., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "FDTD calculations using graphical processing units," Proceedings of IEEE/ACES International Conference on Wireless Communications and Applied Computational Electromagnetics, 728-731, Honolulu, HI, USA, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.924768
8. Peng, S. and Z. Nie, "Acceleration of the method of moments calculations by using graphics processing units," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2130-2133, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121302
9. Tao, Y. B., H. Lin, and H. J. Bao, "From CPU to GPU: GPU-based electromagnetic computing (GPUECO)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 1-19, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER05071001
10. Al-Sharkawy, M., V. Demir, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "The iterative multi-region algorithm using a hybrid finite difference frequency domain and method of moments techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 19-32, 2006.
11. Zainud-Deen, S. H., M. S. Ibrahim, and E. El-Deen, "A hybrid finite difference frequency domain and particle swarm optimization techniques for forward and inverse electromagnetic scattering problems," The 23rd Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics, 1575-1580, Verona, Italy, March 2007.
12. Zainud-Deen, S. H., E. El-Deen, and M. S. Ibrahim, "Electro-magnetic scattering by conducting/dielectric objects," The 23rd Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics, 1866-1871, Verona, Italy, March 2007. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112803
13. Zainud-Deen, S. H., A. Z. Botros, and M. S. Ibrahim, "Scattering from bodies coated with metamaterial using FDFD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 279-290, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112703
14. Zainud-Deen, S. H., W. M. Hassen, E. M. Ali, K. H. Awadalla, and H. A. Sharshar, "Breast cancer detection using a hybrid finite difference frequency domain and particle swarm optimization techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 35-46, 2008.
15. Al-Sharkawy, M. H., V. Demir, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, Electromagnetic Scattering Using the Iterative Multiregion Technique, Morgain & Claypool Publishers, USA, 2007.
16. Vesely, B. F., "Iterative GPGPU linear solvers for sparse matrices,", MSc. Thesis, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Czech Technical University, Prague, 2008.
17. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 14, 302-307, 1966.
18. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2005.