In this paper, a new design of a compact narrowband bandpass filter is proposed. This new narrowband bandpass filter is designed using an octagonal form of dual-mode closed-loop microstrip ring resonator based on a meander structure in order to achieve compactness. The designed filter has a 3 dB fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 5% at 2.3 GHz. The filter has been fabricated on Taconic CER-10 substrate having 0.64 mm thickness and a relative dielectric constant of 10. Experimental results show good agreement with simulated values. Apart from WiMax, this new model of filter is also useful for WLAN and mobile communication applications, since it is compact in size, low loss, and low cost with good performance of elliptic response with sharp rejection and adequate fractional bandwidth.
Babak Kazemi Esfeh,
Raja Syamsul Azmir Raja Abdullah,
Adam Reda Hasan Alhawari,
"Compact Narrowband Bandpass Filter Using Dual-Mode Octagonal Meandered Loop Resonator for WiMAX
Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 16, 277-290, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09061601
1. Hsieh, L. H. and K. Chang, "Compact, low insertion-loss, sharp-rejection, an wide-band microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1241-1246, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809643
2. Hasan, A. and A. E. Nadeem, "Novel microstrip hairpinline narrowband bandpass filter using via ground holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 393-419, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091401
3. Hsieh, L. H. and K. Chang, "Compact dual-mode elliptic-function bandpass filter using a single ring resonator with one coupling gap," Electronic Letters, Vol. 36, No. 19, 1626-1627, Sep. 14 2000. doi:10.1049/el:20001172
4. Wolff, I. and N. Knoppik, "Microstrip resonator and dispersion measurements on microstrip lines," Electronic Letters, Vol. 7, No. 26, 779-781, Dec. 1971. doi:10.1049/el:19710532
5. Chang, K., T. S. Martin, F. Wang, and J. L. Klein, "On the study of microstrip ring and varactor-tuned circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 35, No. 12, 1288-1295, Dec. 1987. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133850
6. Chen, C. H., Y. F. Lin, and H. M. Chen, "Miniaturized dual-mode bandpass filter using mender square ring resonator," IEEE Conference on Electronic Devices and Solid State Circuits, 777-780, Dec. 2008.
7. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2001.
8. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. Hamidon, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wideband filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08102303
9. El-Shaarawy, H. B., F. Coccetti, R. Plana, M. E. Said, and E. A. Hashish, "Compact bandpass ring resonator filter with enhanced wide-band rejection characteristics using defected ground structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 500-502, Aug. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2000998
10. Ismail, A., M. S. Razalli, M. A. Mahdi, R. S. A. R. Abdullah, N. K. Noordin, and M. F. A. Rasid, "X-band trisection substrate-integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 133-145, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081802
11. Herrick, K. J., T. A. Schwartz, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Simicro-machined coplanar waveguides for use in high-frequency circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 6, 762-768, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/22.681198
12. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated transition of coplanar to rectangular waveguides," IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 619-622, 2001.
13. Chang, K. and L.-H. Hsieh, Microwave Ring Circuits and Related Structures, Wiley, New Jersey, 2004.
14. Gorur, A. and C. Karpuz, "Miniature dual-mode microstrip filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 37-39, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.887249
15. Computer Simulation Technology (CST) Microwave Studio 2006B, .
16. Wei, D. F., L. Ying, and J. D. Zhao, "Design of MEMS filters for WiMax systems," 8th International Conference on Electronic Packaging technology, 1-3, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/ICEPT.2007.4441482