In this paper, the designed of triple-band printed dipole antennas are incorporated with single-band artificial magnetic conductor (AMC). The single-band AMCs are designed to resonate at 0.92 GHz, 2.45 GHz and 5.8 GHz using TLC-32 dielectric substrate. The four important parameters in AMC high impedance surface (HIS) design are also described in this paper. By simulating a unit cell of the AMC structure using a transient solver in Computer Simulation Technology (CST) software, the characteristic of the AMC can be characterized. The AMC condition is characterized by the frequency or frequencies where the magnitude of the reflection coefficient is +1 and its phase is 0°. It has high surface impedance (Zs) and it reflects the external electromagnetic waves without the phase reversal. This characteristic of AMC enables the printed dipole to work properly when the antenna with AMC ground plane (GP) is directly attached to the metal object. The performances of the antenna with and without AMC structure as a ground plane to the antenna such as return loss, realized gain, radiation efficiency, radiation pattern and directivity are studied. Reported results show that the performances of the antenna are improved. Hence, the designed dipole tag antenna can be used for metal object identifications when the AMC structure is introduced as a ground to the antenna. The properties of the antenna are also remained well when the size of metal plate attached to them is increased.
1. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
2. Sievenpiper, D. F., High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces, Ph.D. Thesis, University of California at Los Angeles, 1999.
3. Poilasne, G., "Antennas on high impedance ground planes: On the importance of the antenna isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 237-255, 2003.
4. Rea, S. P., D. Linton, E. Orr, and J. McConnell, "Broadband high impedance surface design for aircraft HIRF protection," IEE Proceeding, Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 4, August 2006.
5. Kern, D. J., D. H. Werner, A. Monorchio, L. Lanuzza, and M. J. Wilhelm, "The design synthesis of multiband aritifial magnetic conductors using high impedance frequency selective surfaces ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 8-17, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840540
6. Islam, S., J. Stiens, G. Poesen, I. Jaeger, G. Koers, and R. Vounckx, "W-band millimeter wave artificial magnetic conductor realization by grounded frequency selective surface," Proceedings Symposium IEEE/LEOS Benelux Chapter, 183-186, Brussels, 2007.
7. Zhou, X., F. Hirtenfelder, Z. Yu, and M. Zhang, Fast simulation of high impedance surface using time domain solver, 2004 4th International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 731-734, 2004.
8. Yang, F. and R. Samii, "Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering,", 156-201, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
9. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, and H.-S. Tae, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06011701
10. Ourir, A. and A. de Lustrac, "Artificial magnetic conductor high impedance surface for compact directive antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium 2005, 23-26, 2005.
11. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and Zhang, "A novel multi-band electromagnetic bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 67-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09042302
12. Ayop, O., M. K. A. Rahim, M. Abu, and T. Masri, Slotted patch dual band electromagnetic band gap structure design, 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2009), Berlin, Germany, March 23-27, 2009.
13. Abu, M., M. K. A. Rahim, M. K. Suaidi, I. M. Ibrahim, and N. M. Nor, "Dual-band artificial magnetic conductor (AMC)," Proceedings of 2009 IEEE International Conference on Antennas, Propagation and Systems (INAS 2009) , Johor, Malaysia, December 3-5, 2009.
14. Gu, Y.-Y., W.-X. Zhang, Z.-C. Ge, and Z.-G. Liu, "Research on reflection phase characterizations of artificial magnetic conductors," 2005 Antennas and Propagation and Microwave Conference , APMC, 2005.
15. Lehpamer, H., RFID Design Principles, Artech House, 2008.
16. Chen, Z. N., "Antenna for Portable Devices," John Wiley & Sons, 2007, 71-72.
17. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, Y.-J Yang, and J.-F. Liu, "A compact folded printed dipole antenna for UHF reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 47-54, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08121303
18. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. Kishk, and T. Elsherbeni, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011804
19. Chang, K., H. Kim, K. S. Hwang, I. J. Yoon, and Y. J. Yoon, "A triple-band printed dipole antenna using parasitic elements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, 221-223, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21129
20. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080601
21. Ukkonen, L., L. Sydanheimo, and M. Kivikoski, Patch antenna with EBG ground plane and two-layer substrate for passive RFID of metallic objects, Proc 2004 IEEE AP-S, Vol. 1, 93-96, 2004.
22. Ukkonen, L., L. Sydanheimo, and M. Kivikoski, "Effects of metallic plate size on the performance of microstrip patch-type tag antennas for passive RFID ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.860212
23. Mateos, R. M., J. M. Gonzalez, C. Craeye, and J. Romeu, Backscattering measurement from a RFID tag based on artificial magnetic conductors, 2nd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2007), Edinburgh, UK, November 11-16, 2007.
24. Kim, D. and J. Yeo, "Low-profile RFID tag antenna using compact AMC substrate for metallic objects," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 718-720, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2000813
25. Abu, M. and M. K. A. Rahim, "Triple-band printed dipole tag antenna for RFID," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 145-153, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09070703
26. John, M. and M. J. Ammann, "Integrated antenna for multiband multi-national wireless combined with GSM1800/PCS1900/IMT2000+extension ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 613-615. doi:10.1002/mop.21423