This paper proposes a metamaterial reflective surface (MRS) as a superstrate for a single-feed circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna (SFCP-MPA). It illustrates a simultaneous enhancement on antenna gain, impedance bandwidth (ZBW) and axial-ratio bandwidth (ARBW) by adding the MRS atop the SFCP-MPA. The MRS can enhance the ZBW and ARBW by 3.5 and 9.9 times, respectively, compared to the circularly polarized patch source. Moreover, the gain of the CP-MPA with the MRS is 7 dB higher than that of the conventional CP-MPA. The small spacing between the MRS and patch source is another merit in the present design, which is as low as λo/16 as it results in a low-profile antenna design that well suits modern wireless communications.
Kwok L. Chung,
"Simultaneous Gain and Bandwidths Enhancement of a Single-Feed Circularly Polarized Microstrip Patch Antenna Using a Metamaterial Reflective Surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 22, 23-37, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10031901
1. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, Microstrip Antennas, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
2. Guo, Y.-X., K.-W. Khoo, and L. C. Ong, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antenna using broadband baluns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 2, 319-326, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.915427
3. Kraff, U. R., "An experimental study on 2 × 2 sequential-rotation arrays with circularly polarized microstrip radiators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1459-1466, Oct. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.633850
4. Chung, K. L. and A. S. Mohan, "A circularly polarized stacked electromagnetically coupled patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1365-1370, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827490
5. Pirhadi, A., F. Keshmiri, M. Hakkak, and M. Tayarani, "Analysis and design of dual band high directive EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS as superstrate layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 1-20, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010201
6. Enoch, S., G. Tayeb, P. Sabouroux, N. Guerin, and P. Vincert, "A metamaterial for directive emission," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, 016608, 2004.
7. Wu, B.-I., W.Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04070701
8. Silveririnha, M. and N. Engheta, "Design of matched zero-index metamaterials using nonmagnetic inclusions in epsilon-near-zero media," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, 0751191-07511910, 2007.
9. Alu, A., N. Engheta, A. Erentok, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single-negative, double-negative, and low-index metamaterials and their electromagnetic applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagat. Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 1, Feb. 2007.
10. Gupta, K. C., "Narrow-beam antennas using an artificial dielectric medium with permittivity less than unity ," Electron Lett., Vol. 7, No. 1, 16-18, 1971. doi:10.1049/el:19710012
11. Weng, Z.-B., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-Y. Zhang, "Design and experiment of one dimension and two dimension metamaterial structures for directive emission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 199-209, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010301
12. Chaimool, S., K. L. Chung, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Bandwidth and gain enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using reflective metasurface," to be published in IEICE.
13. Lee, D. H., Y. J. Lee, J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Directivity enhancement of circular polarized patch antenna using ring-shaped frequency selective surface superstrate," Micro. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 1, 199-201, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22084
14. Chang, T. N., M. C. Wu, and J.-M. Lin, "Gain Enhancement for circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 275-292, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09081008
15. Rahman, M. and M. A. Stuchly, "Circularly polarised patch antenna with periodic structure," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 149, No. 3, 141-146, June 2002. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20020392
16. Chen, H., B. I. Wu, L. Ran, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Phy Rev E, Vol. 70, No. 1, 016608-0166015, July 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.70.016608
17. Liu, R., Q. Cheng, T. J. Cui, and D. R. Smith, Broadband and Low-loss Non-resonant Metamaterials in Chapter 5, Metamaterials, Theory, Design and Applications, Springer, New York Dordrecht Heidelberg London, 2010.
18. Chung, K. L. and A. S. Mohan, "A systematic design method to obtain broadband characteristics for singly-fed electromagnetically coupled patch antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 12, 3239-3248, Dec. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.820949