The framework of our work is the application of a fast method to estimate the radiation pattern of an antenna from the measurement of the electric-field magnitude in the near-field region using infrared (IR) camera. IR acquisition techniques allows quasi-realtime measurements of the magnitude of the electrical field on planar surfaces in near-field conditions. However the antennas radiation patterns can only be estimated from near-field electrical magnitude and phase measurements. Consequently a classical plane to plane iterative phase retrieval process has been developed and tested with respect to a large number of configuration parameters such as to find an optimal configuration on a wide frequency range [0.5-20GHz]. In order to achieve and validate such a study, some comparisons have been performed on data obtained either by numerical simulation or classical near-field technique based upon radio-frequency (RF) probe scanning on simple horn antennas. Among all the studied parameters we will focus onto the influence of the dynamic range of the measurements on the reconstructed radiation patterns and on validations from experimental results.
1. Balageas, D. and P. Levesque, "EMIR: A photothermal tool for electromagnetic phenomena characterization," Revue Générale de Thermique, Vol. 37, 725-739, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0035-3159(98)80050-0
2. Bauschke, H. H., P. L. Combettes, and D. R. Luke, "Phase retrieval, error reduction algorithm, and fienup variants: A view from convex optimization," Journal of Optical Society of America, Vol. 19, 1334-1345, 2002. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.19.001334
3. Bucci, O. M., G. D'elia, G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "Far-field pattern determination from the near-field amplitude on two surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 11, 1772-1779, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.102738
4. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, and A. Liseno, "Phaseless antenna characterization by effective aperture field and data representations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 215-230, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009647
5. Gonzalez-Arbesu, J., S. Blanch, A. Aguasca, and J. Romeu, "Fast far-field antenna pattern determination using infrared thermograms and phase retrieval algorith," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 710-713, 2002.
6. Gonzalez-Arbesu, J. M., Caracterization de antenas mediante termographias de infrarrojos, Ph.D. thesis, Universidad Politecnica de Cataluna, 2000.
7. Hislop, G., G. C. James, and A. Hellicar, "Phase retrieval of scattered fields," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 2332-2341, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901937
8. Hoenders, B. J., "On the solution of the phase retrieval problem," Journal of Mathematical Physics, Vol. 16, 1719-1725, 1975. doi:10.1063/1.522769
9. Isernia, T., G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "Radiation pattern evaluation from near-field intensities on planes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 701-710, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.496257
10. Las-Heras, F. and T. K. Sarkar, "A direct optimization approach for source reconstruction and NF-FF transformation using amplitude-only data," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 500-510, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1003386
11. Levesque, P., L. Leylekian, A. Déom, and D. Balageas, "Latest developments in the EMIR technique of infrared imaging electromagnetic fields," Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Conference Series, Vol. 4360, 48-59, 2001.
12. Marchesini, S., "Invited article: A unified evaluation of iterative projection algorithms for phase retrieval," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 78, 011301, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2403783
13. Migliore, M. D., F. Soldovieri, and R. Pierri, "Far-field antenna pattern estimation from near-field data using a low-cost amplitude-only measurement setup," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 49, 71-76, 2000. doi:10.1109/19.836312
14. Norgard, J., "Electromagnetic magnitude and phase measurements from infrared thermograms," IEEE Proceedings Aerospace Conference, Vol. 2, 145-157, 1997.
15. Norgard, J., J. Will, and C. Stubenrauch, "Quantitative images of antenna patterns using infrared thermography and microwave holography," International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, Vol. 11, No. 210, 2000.
16. Puskely, J. and Z. Novácek, "Application of the global optimization approaches to planar near-field antenna phaseless measurements," Radioengineering, Vol. 18, 9-17, 2009.
17. Razavi, S. F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A new look at phaseless planar near-field measurements: Limitations, simulations, measurements, and a hybrid solution," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, 170-178, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.376625
18. Razavi, S.-F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Polarization extraction in planar near-field phaseless measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 3233-3240, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929445
19. Ribière-Tharaud, N., A. Casagranda, M. Lambert, and F. Jouvie, "Numerical and experimental assessment of a phase retrieval technique applied to planar near-field distribution for wide band applications," 3th International Conference on Near-field Characterization and Imaging (ICONIC'07), 194-199, SaintLouis, USA, 2007.
20. Soldovieri, F., G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "An innovative phase retrieval technique from single-plane near-field intensity by a dielectric slab," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 62, 732-739, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2007.09.009
21. Yaghjian, A. D., "An overview of near-field antenna measurements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 30-45, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143727