We numerically compare the mode birefringence and confinement loss with four patterns of index-guiding photonic crystal fibers (PCF) using the finite element method. These PCFs are composed of a solid silica core surrounded by different sizes of elliptical air holes and a cladding which consist of the same elliptical air holes in fiber cladding with tetragonal lattice. The maximal modal birefringence and lowest confinement loss of our proposed case A structure at the excitation wavelength of λ=1550 nm can be achieved at a magnitude of 5.3×10-2 (which is the highest value to our knowledge) and less than 0.051 dB/km (an acceptable value less than 0.1 dB/km) with only four rings of air holes in fiber cladding, respectively. The merit of our designed PCFs is that the birefringence and confinement loss can be easily controlled by turning the pitch (hole to hole spacing) of elliptical air holes in PCF cladding.
Din Ping Tsai,
"A Comparative Study of High Birefringence and Low Confinement Loss Photonic Crystal Fiber Employing Elliptical Air Holes in Fiber Cladding with Tetragonal Lattice," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 22, 39-52, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10042405
1. Shen, G.-F., X.-M. Zhang, H. Chi, and X.-F. Jin, "Microwave/millimeter-wave generation using multi-wavelength photonic crystal fiber brillouin laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 307-320, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07112202
2. Nozhat, N. and N. Granpayeh, "Specialty fibers designed by photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 225-244, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092309
3. Guenneau, S., A., Nicolet, F. Zolla, and S. Lasquellec, "Numerical and theoretical study of photonic crystal fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 271-305, 2003.
4. Yue, Y., G. Kai, Z. Wang, T. Sun, L. Jin, Y. Lu, C. Zhang, J. Liu, Y. Li, Y. Liu, S. Yuan, and X. Dong, "Highly birefringent elliptical-hole photonic crystal fiber with squeezed hexagonal lattice," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 469-471, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.000469
5. Steel, M. J. and R. M. Osgood Jr., "Elliptical hole photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 26, 229-231, 2001. doi:10.1364/OL.26.000229
6. Chen, D. and L. Shen, "Ultrahigh birefringent photonic crystal fiber with ultralow confinement loss," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 185-187, 2007. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.890040
7. Chau, Y. F., H. H. Yeh, and D. P. Tsai, "Significantly enhanced birefringence of photonic crystal fiber using rotational binary unit cell of elliptical-hole with squeezed triangular lattice," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 46, 1048-1051, 2007. doi:10.1143/JJAP.46.L1048
8. Jin, J., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 2002.
9. Bach, H. and N. Neuroth, The Properties of Optical Glass, Springer, Heidelberg, 1995.
10. Ortigosa-Blanch, A., J. C. Knight, W. J. Wadsworth, J. Arriaga, B. J. Mangan, T. A. Birks, and P. S. J. Russell, "Highly birefringent photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 25, 1325-1327, 2000. doi:10.1364/OL.25.001325
11. Chen, D., M.-L. Vincent Tse, and H.-Y. Tam, "Super-lattice structure photonic crystal fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 53-64, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM09120701
12. Liu, Y. C and Y. Lai, "Optical birefringence and polarization dependent loss of square- and rectangular-lattice holey fibers with elliptical air holes: Numerical analysis," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 225-235, 2005. doi:10.1364/OPEX.13.000225
13. Kim, B. Y., J. N. Blake, S. Y. Huang, and H. J. Shaw, "Use of highly elliptical core fibers for two-mode fiber devices," Opt. Lett., Vol. 12, 729-731, 1987. doi:10.1364/OL.12.000729
14. Blake, J. N., S. Y. Huang, B. Y. Kim, and H. J. Shaw, "Strain effects on highly elliptical core two-mode fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 12, 732-734, 1987. doi:10.1364/OL.12.000732
15. Falkenstein, P., C. D. Merritt, and B. L. Justus, "Fused performs for the fabrication of photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 1858-1860, 2004. doi:10.1364/OL.29.001858
16. Issa, N. A., M. A. V. Eijkelenborg, and M. Fellew, "Fabrication and study of microstructured optical fibers with elliptical holes," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 1336-1338, 2004. doi:10.1364/OL.29.001336
17. Domachuk, P., A. Chapman, E. Mägi, M. J. Steel, H. C. Nguyen, and B. J. Eggleton, "Transverse characterization of high air-fill fraction tapered photonic crystal fiber," Appl. Opt., Vol. 44, 3885-3892, 2005. doi:10.1364/AO.44.003885