In this paper, a new simple design procedure of multi-frequency unequal split Wilkinson power dividers (WPDs) is presented. The procedure is based on using N-sections of transmission line transformers, instead of the conventional quarter-wave WPD branches, to realize a WPD that operates at N frequencies. Good isolation is achieved by using lumped resistors without any extra modification to the conventional structure of WPDs. The analysis, design procedure, and mathematical expressions are presented for arbitrary design frequencies, and arbitrary power split ratio. For verification purposes, a 1:2 dual-frequency, a 1:2 tri-frequency, and a 1:2 quad-frequency WPDs are designed and fabricated. The measured results show good agreement with those obtained using the presented design methodology and with full-wave simulated results.
Abdullah Mazen Qaroot,
Nihad I. Dib,
Ahmad A. Gheethan,
"Design Methodology of Multi-Frequency Unequal Split Wilkinson Power Dividers Using Transmission Line Transformers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 22, 1-21, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10042809
1. Wilkinson, R. J., "An N-way hybrid power divider," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, No. 1, 116-118, January 1960. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1960.1124668
2. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3 Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2005.
3. Feng, C., G. Zhao, X. liu, and F. Zhang, "A novel dualfrequency unequal Wilkinson power divider," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1695-1699, June 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23447
4. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "A new dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, 483-492, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787612400
5. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "An unequal dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider with optional isolation structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 393-411, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09030501
6. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "Dual-band modified Wilkinson power divider without transmission line stubs and reactive components," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 9-20, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072109
7. Oraizi, H. and A. Sharifi, "Design and optimization of broadband asymmetrical multisection Wilkinson power divider," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 5, 2220-2231, May 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.872786
8. Chongcheawchamnan, M., S. Patissang, M. Krairiksh, and I. Robertson, "Tri-band Wilkinson power divider using a three-section transmission-line transformer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 16, No. 8, 452-454, August 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.879488
9. Jwaied, H., F. Mawanes, and N. Dib, "Analysis and design of a quad-band Wilkinson power divider," Int. Journal on Wireless and Optical Communication, Vol. 4, No. 3, 305-312, 2007. doi:10.1142/S0219799507000680
10. Dib, N. and M. Khodier, "Design and optimization of multiband Wilkinson power divider," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, 14-20, January 2008. doi:10.1002/mmce.20261
11. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823969
12. Monzon, C., "A small dual-frequency transformer in two sections," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 15, No. 4, 1157-1161, April 2003.
13. Parad, L. and R. Moynihan, "Split-tee power divider," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 13, 91-95, January 1965. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1965.1125934
14. Khodier, M., N. Dib, and J. Ababneh, "Design of multiband multi-section transmission line transformer using particle swarm optimization," Electrical Engineering Journal (Archiv fur Elektrotechnik), Vol. 90, No. 4, 293-300, April 2008. doi:10.1007/s00202-007-0077-z
15. Chongcheawchamnan, M., S. Patissang, and S. Srisathit, "Analysis and design of a three section transmission linetransformer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2458-2462, July 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.850408
16. Jwaied, H., F. Muwanes, and N. Dib, "Analysis and design of quad-band four-section transmission line impedance transformer," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 22, No. 3, 381-387, November 2007.
17. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and X. Liu, "Closed-form design method of an N-way dual-band Wilkinson hybrid power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 97-114, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09111906
18. Ansoft Corporation, www.ansoft.com,.
19. Zeland Software, www.zeland.com,.
20. Alkanhal, M., "Reduced-size dual band Wilkinson power dividers," Proc. Of the Int. Conf. on Computer and Communication Engineering, 1294-1298, Malaysia, 2008.
21. Lee, Y., I. Park, and C. Shin, "A miniaturized Wilkinson power divider," Proc. of APMC, 37-40, Taiwan, 2001.
22. Hosseini, F., M. Khalaj-Amir Hosseini, and M. Yazdani, "A miniaturized Wilkinson power divider using nonuniform transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, 917-924, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788355243