This paper presents a numerical simulation of the human head coupling with a Planar Inverted-F Antenna (PIFA) structure based on the Coupled Integral Equation/Method of Moment (CIE/MoM) approach to study the effects of the EM coupling on the antenna performance. A mix-potential integral equation (MPIE) for the surface current of PIFA structure and a volume electric field integral equation (VEFIE) for the head with mutual coupling terms are obtained. Finally numerical results will be presented at 900 and 1800 MHz for the antenna performance parameters. The validity of the proposed method is evaluated using the XFDTD software.
"Numerical Analysis of Human Head Interaction with PIFA Antennas in Cellular Mobile Communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 22, 359-377, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10051304
1. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media ," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, 302-307, May 1966. doi:10.1109/TAP.1966.1138693
2. Taflove, A. and M. E. Brodwin, "Computation of the electromagnetic fields and induced temperatures within a model of the microwave-irradiated human eye," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 23, 888-896, Nov. 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128708
3. Taflove, A., "Application of the finite-difference time-domain method to sinusoidal steady-state electromagnetic penetration problems," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 22, 191-202, Aug. 1980. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1980.303879
4. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, 3 Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.
5. Gandhi, O. P. and J. Y. Chen, "Electromagnetic absorption in the human head from experimental 6-GHz handheld transceivers," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 37, 547-558, Apr. 1995. doi:10.1109/15.477340
6. Jensen, A. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "EM interaction of handset antennas and a human in personal communications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 83, 7-17, Jan. 1995. doi:10.1109/5.362755
7. Dimbylow, P. J. and S. M. Mann, "SAR calculations in an anatomically realistic model of the head for mobile communication transceivers at 900MHz and 1.8 GHz ," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 39, No. 9, 1537-1553, 1994. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/39/10/003
8. Chuang, H. R., "Human operator coupling effects on radiation characteristics of a portable communications dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 556-560, Apr. 1994. doi:10.1109/8.286229
9. Nikita, K. S., G. S. Stamatakos, N. K. Uzunoglu, and A. Karafotias, "Analysis of the interaction between a layered spherical human head model and a finite-length dipole," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, 2003-2013, Nov. 2000.
10. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and K. W. Kim, "Antenna and human in personal communications: Application of modern EM computational techniques," Proc. IEEE, 36-55, 1999.
11. Chen, W. T. and H. R. Chuang, "Numerical Computation of human interaction with arbitrary oriented superquadric loop antenna in personal communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, 821-828, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.686768
12. Roa, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shapes," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, 409-418, 1982.
13. Wong, K. L., Planar Antennas for Wireless Communications, Chapter 2, John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
14. Sadiku, M. N. O., Numerical Techniques in Electromagnetics, Chapter 5, CRC Press, 2001.
15. Makarov, S. N., Antenna and EM Modeling with MATLAB, Chapter 10, John Wiley & Sons, 2001.
16. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Chapter 2, John Wiley, New York, 1989.
17. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: II. Measurements in frequency range 10 Hz to 20 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 41, 2251-2269, Dec. 1966.
18. Su, D. Y., D. M. Fu, and D. Yu, "Genetic algorithms and method of moments for the design of PIFAs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 9-18, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07110603
19. Jeon, S.-G., D.-H. Seo, Y.-S. Yu, and J.-H. Choi, "Broadband internal antenna for mobile DTV handsets," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1048-1052, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061006224624