Although the discontinuity structures in the microstrip transmission lines such as a gap and bend have been largely studied, the three-dimensional edge effects, skin effects and metal losses have hardly been analyzed. In this paper, modeling of transmission line with bend and gap discontinuity with equation based process technology independent method are developed. The effect of the signal layer thickness is fully included in the model. Gap model is verified with EM simulation and implemented in BiCMOS technology on Silicon substrate. The bend is modeled with transmission line with effective length for the discontinuity area, and the equations have been generated. The bend model is compared with EM simulations, existing bend model generated with curve-fitted method and measured results. Gap and bend are enabled as library device in a 0.13 μm SiGe BiCMOS process design kit. Both bend and gap device have a scalable layout pattern and a schematic symbol, which allows users to choose them with different dimensions and metal stacks. In addition, the models can be migrated into other process technologies with different metal options. Very good match have been achieved among model, EM simulation and measurements for different process technologies and metal stacks.
Essam F. Mina,
"On-Chip Technology Independent 3-d
Models for Millimeter-Wave Transmission Lines with Bend and Gap Discontinuity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 22, 171-185, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10051806
1. Yu, P.-C. and K. Chang, "Novel compact elliptic-function narrow band bandpass filters using microstrip open-loop resonators with coupled and crossing lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 46, 952-958, Jul. 1998.
2. Tzuang, C.-K. C., Y.-H. Chiang, and S. Su, "A compressed-length 90゜ bend offset broadside-end-coupled bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 1, 285-287, Oct. 1991. doi:10.1109/75.89097
3. Her, M.-L. and C.-M. Chang, "Analysis of slot-loaded end-coupled reasonator CPW bandpass filters," Proceedings of APMC 2001, 326-328, Dec. 2001.
4. Silvester, P. and P. Benedek, "Microstrip discontinuity capacitances for right-angle bends, T junctions, and crossings," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 21, No. 5, May 1973.
5. Farrar, A. and A. T. Adams, "Matrix methods for microstrip three-dimensional problems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, No. 8, Aug. 1972. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1972.1127796
6. Benedek, P. and P. Silveste, "Capacitance of parallel rectangular plates separated by a dielectric sheet," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 20, 504-510, Aug. 1972. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1972.1127797
7. Mohammadi, F. A. and M. C. E. Yagoub, "Electromagnetic model for microwave components of integrated circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 81-94, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07101802
8. Ding, H. Y., G. A. Wang, K. Lam, D. Jordan, A. Zeeb, A. Bavis, E. Mina, and B. Gaucher, "Modeling and implementation of on-chip millimeter-wave compact branch line couplers in a BiCMOS technology," 2007 European Microwave Conference, Munich, Germany, Oct. 2007.
9. Ding, H. Y., K. Lam, E. Mina, J. Rascoe, D. Jordan, A. Zeeb, and B. Gaucher, "On-chip millimeter-wave library device --- Scalable Wilkinson power divider/combiner," Proceedings of 2006 ECTC, Reno, Nevada, 2006.
10. Wang, G. A., H. Y. Ding, A. Bavisi, K. Lam, and E. Mina, "On-chip 3-D model for millimeter-wave T-lines with gap discontinuity in BiCMOS technology," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2007, 631-634, 2007.
11. Gopinath, A. and C. Gupta, "Capacitance parameters of discontinuities in microstrip lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 26, 831-836, Oct. 1978.
12. Jansen, R. and N. Koster, "A unified CAD basis for the frequency dependent characterization of strip slot and coplanar MIC components," Proceedings of 11th European Microwave Conference, 682-687, Oct. 1981.
13. Stellari, F. and A. Lacaita, "New formulas of interconnect capacitances based on results of conformal mapping method," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 47, No. 1, 222-231, 2000. doi:10.1109/16.817589