In this paper, we introduce a different approach of previously reported method to determine absorption and emission cross-sections (δa and δe), and dopant concentration in Erbium doped optical fibers (EDOFs) with low background loss (α). We call this new method as variant input single cutback method (VISCM). There is technical similarity between VISCM and conventional cutback method (CCM) for determination of cross-sections, but in former pump and signal powers are not used together. We numerically verify the effect of different parameters such as input power, background loss, and EDOF amplifier cutback length on the cross-sections using VISCM and CCM. We also present the simulation results of maximum gain and optimum length using obtained cross-sections by two methods. We show that the VISCM presents more accuracy than that of CCM in any conditions. In the presence of α, both CCM and VISCM give not actual but pseudo values for the δa and δe. Using pseudo parameters values obtained by VISCM for α < 10 dB/km, the error of maximum gain and optimum length of designed EDOF is shown negligible.
1. Zhang, Y., M. Zhang, W. Jin, H. L. Ho, M. S. Demokan, X. H. Fang, B. Culshaw, and G. Stewart, "Investigation of erbiumdoped fiber laser intra-cavity absorption sensor for gas detection," Opt. Commun., Vol. 232, 295-301, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2004.01.013
2. Harun, S. W., X. S. Cheng, N. K. Saat, and H. Ahmad, "S-band Brillouin erbium fibre laser," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, 174-176, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057310
3. Desurvire, E., Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifiers: Principles and Applications, Wiley, New York, 1994.
4. Barnes, W. L., R. I. Laming, E. J. Tarbox, and P. R. Morkel, "Absorption and emission cross sections of Er3+ doped silica fibers," IEEE. J. Quant. Electron., Vol. 27, 1004-1010, 1991. doi:10.1109/3.83335
5. Walsh, B., Judd-Ofelt Theory: Principles and Practices, Advances in Spectroscopy for Lasers and Sensing, Vol. 33, 403-433, Springer, The Netherlands, 2006. doi:10.1007/1-4020-4789-4_21
6. Lin, H., G. Meredith, S. Jiang, X. Peng, T. Luo, and N. Peyghambarian, "Optical transitions and visible upconversion in Er3+ doped niobic tellurite glass," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 93, 186-191, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1527209
7. Jianhu, Z., J. Yang, and S. Dai, "Optical Spectroscopy and gain properties of Nd+3 doped oxide glasses," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 21, 739-743, 2004. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.21.000739
8. Mahran, O., "Yttria-alumina-silicate erbium doped fiber amplifier characteristics at 1540 nm," Int. J. Pure Appl. Phys., Vol. 3, 83-90, 2007.
9. Liu, G. and B. Jacquier, Spectroscopic Property of Rare Earths in Optical Materials, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2005. doi:10.1007/3-540-28209-2
10. Giles, C. R. and D. Digiovanni, "Spectral dependence of gain and noise in erbium-doped fiber amplifiers," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 2, 797-800, 1990. doi:10.1109/68.63225
11. Giles, C. R., C. A. Bums, D. J. DiGiovanni, N. K. Dutta, and G. Raybon, "Characterization of erbium-doped fibers and application to modeling 980-nm and 1480-nm pumped amplifiers," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 3, No. 363, 1991.
12. Martinez, V., A. M. Jurdyc, D. Vouagner, C. Martinet, and B. Champagnon, "Density and concentration fluctuations in a erbium-doped fiber amplifiers glass: Raman and small angle X-ray scattering study," J. Non-Cryst. Solids, Vol. 351, 2421-2424, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2005.06.034
13. Gómez, H. and M. de la L. Olvera, "Ga-doped ZnO thin films: E®ect of deposition temperature, dopant concentration, and vacuum-thermal treatment on the electrical, optical, structural and morphological properties," Mat. Sci. Eng.: B, Vol. 134, 20-26, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.mseb.2006.07.039
14. Mazzali, C., D. C. Dini, E. Palange, and H. L. Fragnito, "Fast method for obtaining erbium-doped fibre intrinsic parameters," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, 921-922, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960622
15. Zech, H., "Measurement technique for pump and signal background absorption of erbium doped fibers," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, 1866-1867, 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19951238
16. Georges, T., "Comment on: Measurement technique for pump and signal background absorption of erbium doped fibres," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, 1126-1127, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960746
17. Zech, H., "Reply to comment: Measurement technique for pump and signal background absorption of erbium doped fibres," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, 1127-1128, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960747
18. Karimi, M. and F. E. Seraji, "Experimental technique for simultaneous measurement of absorption-, emission cross-section, and background loss coefficient in doped optical fibers," Appl. Phys. B: Lasers & Opt., Vol. 98, 113-117, 2010. doi:10.1007/s00340-009-3760-0
19. Karimi, M. and F. E. Seraji, "A novel method for simultaneous measurement of doped optical fiber parameters," Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 50, 20701-6, 2010.
20. Karimi, M. and F. E. Seraji, "A proposed method to simultaneously measure doped optical fibers parameters," Proc. Iran. Phys. Conf., 62-65, Kashan University, Iran, Jul. 15--18, 2009.
21. Karimi, M. and F. E. Seraji, "Theoretical performance analysis of doped optical fibers based on pseudo parameters," Prog. Quant. Electron., 2010 (in press), doi:10.1016/j.pquantelec.2010.06.001.
22. Agrawal, G. P., Fiber Optic Communication System, 38, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., United Stated of America, 1992.
23. Ghatak, A. and K. Thyagarajan, Introduction to Fiber Optics, Cambridge University Press, 1998.
24. Desurvire, E., "Analysis of distributed erbium-doped fiber amplifiers with fiber background loss," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 3, 625-628, 1991. doi:10.1109/68.87934
25. Giles, C. R. and E. Desurvire, "Modeling erbium-doped fiber amplifiers," IEEE. J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 9, 271-283, 1991. doi:10.1109/50.65886
26. Polyanin, A. D. and A. V. Mainchirov, Hand Book of Mathematics for Engineers and Scientist, Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Danvers, 2007.