This paper studies the potential of ultra-wideband (UWB) microwave imaging for detection and localization of breast cancer in its early stages. A method is proposed for locating tumors which is based on the time-of-flight of the signal backscattered at the tumor. Time-of-flight is detected using a wavelet transform algorithm. The main contribution of this paper is that it proposes to determine the position of the tumor by using an adapted version of the centroid localization method used in wireless sensor nodes. Its main advantage is that it does not require knowing a priori neither the propagation velocity of the breast nor its dielectric permittivity. The feasibility of the method has been investigated by means of simulated and experimental results with an ultra-wideband radar and a phantom.
"Weighted Centroid Method for Breast Tumor Localization Using an UWB Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 24, 1-15, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10063004
1. Fear, E. C., J. Sill, and M. A. Stuchly, "Experimental feasibility study of confocal microwave imaging for breast tumor detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 3, 887-892, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.808630
2. Sill, J. M. and E. C. Fear, "Tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast cancer detection --- Experimental investigation of simple tumor models," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3312-3319, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.857330
3. Klemm, M., I. Craddock, J. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Experimental and clinical results of breast cancer detection using UWB microwave radar," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008. doi:10.1155/2008/761402
4. Craddock, I. J., M. Klemm, J. Leendertz, A. W. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "An improved hemispeherical antenna array design for breast imaging," Proceedings European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, 2007.
5. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Simulated and experimenal investigation of microwave imaging using UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 263-280, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061004
6. Bolomey, J. C., A. Izadnegahdar, L. Jofre, C. Pichot, G. Peronnet, and M. Solaimani, "Microwave diffraction tomography for biomedical applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 30, No. 11, 1998-2000, 1982. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1982.1131357
7. Meaney, P. M., M. W. Fanning, D. Li, S. P. Poplack, and K. D. Paulsen, "A clinical prototype for active microwave imaging of the breast," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1841-1853, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.883861
8. Semenov, S. Y., R. H. Svenson, A. E. Boulyshev, A. E. Souvorov, A. G. Nazarov, Y. Sizov, V. Posukh, A. Pavlovsky, P. Repin, A. Starostin, B. Voinov, M. Taran, G. Tatsis, and V. Baranov, "Three-dimensional microwave tomography: Initial experimental imaging of animals," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 49, No. 1, 55-63, January, 2002. doi:10.1109/10.972840
9. Kosmas, P. and C. M. Rappaport, "FDTD-based time reversal approach for microwave breast cancer detection --- Localization in three dimensions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1921-1927, June, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.871994
10. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Wavelet-based breast tumor localization technique using a UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 75-95, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09100705
11. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra-wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, September, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.834186
12. Chen, Y., E. Gunawan, K. S. Low, S. C. Wang, Y. Kim, and C. B. Soh, "Pulse design for time reversal method as applied to ultrawideband microwave breast cancer detection: A two-dimensional analysis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 194-204, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.888432
13. Yang, F. and A. S. Mohan, "Ultra wideband microwave imaging and localization for breast cancer," IEEE Microwave Conference APMC, 1-4, Asia-Pacific, 2008.
14. Sahinoglu, Z., S. Gezici, and I. Guvenc, Ultra-wideband Positioning Systems, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
15. Knapp, C. and G. Carter, "The generalized correlation method for estimation of time delay," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, and Sig. Processing (ICASSP), Vol. 24, 320-327, 1976. doi:10.1109/TASSP.1976.1162830
16. Bindu, G., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, C. K. Aanandan, and K. T. Mathew, "Dielectric studies of corn syrup for applications in microwave breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 175-186, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05072801
17. Lazenik, M., D. Popovic, L. McCartney, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, S. Sewall, T. Ogilvie, A. Magliocco, T. M. Breslin, W. Temple, D. Mew, J. H. Booske, M. Okoniewski, and S. C. Hagness, "A large-scale study of the ultrawideband microwave dielectric properties of normal breast tissue obtained from cancer surgeries," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 52, No. 10, 6093-6115, October, 2007.
18. Goswami, J. C. and A. K. Chan, Fundamentals of Wavelets, Theory, Algorithms, and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.
19. Li, H. J. and K. M. Li, "Application of wavelet transform in target identification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 57-73, 1996.
20. Pourvoyeur, K., A. Stelzer, G. Ossberge, T. Buchegger, and M. Pichle, "Wavelet-based impulse reconstruction in UWB-radar," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 603-606, 2003.
21. Aly, O. A. M. and A. S. Omar, "Detection and localization of RF radar pulses in noise environments using wavelet packet transform and higher order statistics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 301-317, 2006.
22. Bulusu, N., J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin., "GPS-less low cost outdoor localization for very small devices," IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 7, No. 5, 28-34, 2000. doi:10.1109/98.878533
23. Reichenbach, F. and D. Timmermann, "Indoor localization with low complexity in wireless sensor networks," IEEE Int. Conf. on Industrial Infromatics, 1018-1023, 2006. doi:10.1109/INDIN.2006.275737
24. Winters, D. W., J. D. Shea, E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, B. D. Van Veen, and S. C. Hagness, "Estimating the breast surface using UWB microwave monostatic backscatter measurements," IEEE Trans. On Biomedical Eng., Vol. 55, No. 1, 247-256, 2008. doi:10.1109/TBME.2007.901028
25. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Analysis of vital signs monitoring using an IR-UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 265-284, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120302
26. Li, X., S. K. Davis, S. C. Hagness, D. W. Van Der Weide, and B. D. Van Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming: Experimental investigation of tumor detection in multi-layer breast phantoms," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1856-1865, August, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.832686
27. Lai, J. C. Y., C. B. Soh, E. Gunawan, and K. S. Low, "Homogeneous and heterogeneous breast phantoms for ultra-wideband microwave imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 397-415, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09121103