The development of compact antennas plays an important role in the rapidly growing mobile communication market. This paper presents a novel design technique of the quad-band small internal antenna covering GSM-900/DCS-1800/PCS-1900/IMT-2000 bands. The innovative quad-band built-in handset antenna is developed within the limit of a 44×25×4 mm3 volume. The following document describes a new idea of increasing operational bandwidth for the compact planar inverted F antenna (PIFA). The proposed compact antenna introduces the open-end slots in the ground plane almost all under the radiating patch. The size reduction method is attractive for practical antenna implementations. In addition, the end user's hand handling effects on the performances of the proposed antenna are studied.
"A Compact Quad-Band PIFA by Tuning the Defected Ground Structure for Mobile Phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 24, 173-189, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10070608
1. Tang, I-T., D.-B. Lin, W.-L. Chen, and J.-H. Horng, "Miniaturized hexaband meandered PIFA antenna using three meandered-shaped slits," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1022-1025, Apr., 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23292
2. Chiu, C.-W., C.-H. Chang, and Y.-J. Chi, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010.
3. Cabedo, A., J. Anguera, C. Picher, M. Ribo, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna combining PIFA, slots, and ground plane modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2526-2533, Sep., 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027039
4. Chiu, C. W. and Y. J. Chi, "Planar hexa-band inverted-F antenna for mobile device applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1099-1102, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2033623
5. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Cabedo, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Multiband handset antenna using slots on the ground plane: Considerations to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09030605
6. Sun, J.-S. and S.-Y. Huang, "A small 3-D multi-band antenna of “F” shape for portable phones’ applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 183-192, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09052203
7. Saidatul, N. A., A. A. H. Azremi, R. B. Ahmad, P. J. Soh, and F. Malek, "Multiband fractal planar inverted F Antenna (FFPifa) for mobile phone application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 127-148, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09030802
8. Cheng, P.-C., C.-Y.-D. Sim, C.-H. Lee, and , "Multi-band internal monopole antenna for mobile handset applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1733-1744, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789566978
9. Sun, B. H., J. F. Li, and Q. Z. Liu, "Compact broad-band printed antenna for multi-functional mobile terminals," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8--9, 1292-1298, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784158751
10. Jensen, M. A. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "EM interaction of handset antennas and a human in personal communications," Proc. IEEE., Vol. 83, 7-17, Jan., 1995. doi:10.1109/5.362755
11. Rowell, C. and R. Murch, "A capacitively loaded PIFA for compact mobile telephone handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 837-842, May, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.575634
12. Taga, T., "Analysis of planar inverted-F antennas and antenna design for portable radio equipment," Analysis, Design and Measurement of Small and Low-profile Antennas, No. 5, K.Hirasawa and M. Haneishi, Eds., 161-180, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1992.
13. Manteuffel, D., A. Bahr, D. Heberling, and I. Wolff, "Design considerations for integrated mobile phone antennas," Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Antennas Propagat., 252-256, Apr. 17--20, 2001.
14. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and I. Kelander, "Resonantor-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 10, Oct., 2002.
15. Hossa, R., A. Byndas, and M. Bialkowski, "Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating openend slots in ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, Jun., 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.828007
16. Kabacik, P., R. Hossa, and A. Byndas, "Broadening the bandwidth in terminal antennas by tuning the coupling between the element and its ground," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3A, 3-8, Jul., 2005.
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory-analysis and Design, 941, Wiley, New York, 1997.
18. Salonen, P., M. Keskilammi, and M. Kivikoski, "Single-feed dual planar inverted-F antennas with U-slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1262-1264, Aug., 2000. doi:10.1109/8.884498
19. Nashhat, D., H. Elsadek, and H. Ghali, "Dual-Band reduced size PIFA antenna with U-slot for bluetooth andWLAN applications," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagation Int. Symp., 22-27, Columbus, OH, Jun., 2003.