This paper presents an improved approach for the propagation of electromagnetic (EM) fields along a helical hollow waveguide that consists of two bendings in the same direction. In this case, the objective is to develop a mode model for infrared (IR) wave propagation, in order to represent the effect of the radius of the cylinder of the helix and the step's angle on the output fields and the output power transmission. This model enables us to understand more precisely the influence of the step's angle and the radius of the cylinder of the helix on the output results of each section (bending). The output transverse components of the field, the output power transmission and the output power density for all bending are improved by increasing the step's angle or the radius of the cylinder of the helix, especially in the cases of space curved waveguides. This mode model can be a useful tool to improve the output results in all the cases of the helical hollow waveguides with two bendings for industrial and medical regimes.
"Helical Waveguide with Two Bendings, and Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 26, 115-147, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10081503
1. Harrington, J. A. and Y. Matsuura, "Review of hollow waveguide technology," SPIE, Vol. 2396, 1995.
2. Harrington, J. A., D. M. Harris, and A. Katzir (eds.), Biomedical Optoelectronic Instrumentation, 4-14, 1995.
3. Harrington, J. A., "A review of IR transmitting, hollow waveguides," Fiber and Integrated Optics, Vol. 19, 211-228, 2000. doi:10.1080/01468030050058794
4. Marcatili, E. A. J. and R. A. Schmeltzer, "Hollow metallic and dielectric waveguides for long distance optical transmission and lasers," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 43, 1783-1809, 1964.
5. Marhic, M. E., "Mode-coupling analysis of bending losses in IR metallic waveguides," Appl. Opt., Vol. 20, 3436-3441, 1981. doi:10.1364/AO.20.003436
6. Miyagi, M., K. Harada, and S. Kawakami, "Wave propagation and attenuation in the general class of circular hollow waveguides with uniform curvature," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 32, 513-521, 1984. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1984.1132715
7. Croitoru, N., E. Goldenberg, D. Mendlovic, S. Ruschin, and N. Shamir, "Infrared chalcogenide tube waveguides," SPIE, Vol. 618, 140-145, 1986.
8. Melloni, A., F. Carniel, R. Costa, and M. Martinelli, "Determination of bend mode characteristics in dielectric waveguides," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 19, 571-577, 2001. doi:10.1109/50.920856
9. Bienstman, P., M. Roelens, M. Vanwolleghem, and R. Baets, "Calculation of bending losses in dielectric waveguides using eigenmode expansion and perfectly matched layers," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, 164-166, 2002. doi:10.1109/68.980493
10. Mendlovic, D., E. Goldenberg, S. Ruschin, J. Dror, and N. Croitoru, "Ray model for transmission of metallic-dielectric hollow bent cylindrical waveguides," Appl. Opt., Vol. 28, 708-712, 1989. doi:10.1364/AO.28.000708
11. Morhaim, O., D. Mendlovic, I. Gannot, J. Dror, and N. Croitoru, "Ray model for transmission of infrared radiation through multibent cylindrical waveguides," Opt. Eng., Vol. 30, 1886-1891, 1991. doi:10.1117/12.56016
12. Kark, K. W., "Perturbation analysis of electromagnetic eigenmodes in toroidal waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 631-637, 1991. doi:10.1109/22.76425
13. Lewin, L., D. C. Chang, and E. F. Kuester, Electromagnetic Waves and Curved Structures, No. 6, 58-68, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, 1977.
14. Menachem, Z., "Wave propagation in a curved waveguide with arbitrary dielectric transverse profiles," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 10, 1423-1424, 2003, and Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 42, 173--192, 2003.. doi:10.1163/156939303322519612
15. Menachem, Z., N. Croitoru, and J. Aboudi, "Improved mode model for infrared wave propagation in a toroidal dielectric waveguide and applications," Opt. Eng., Vol. 41, 2169-2180, 2002. doi:10.1117/1.1496490
16. Menachem, Z. and M. Mond, "Infrared wave propagation in a helical waveguide with inhomogeneous cross section and applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 159-192, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06020205
17. Menachem, Z. and M. Haridim, "Propagation in a helical waveguide with inhomogeneous dielectric profiles in rectangular cross section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 155-188, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09022202
18. Menachem, Z., "Flexible hollow waveguide with two bendings for small values of step angles, and applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 21, 347-383, 2010.
19. Collin, R. E., Foundation for Microwave Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1996.