A novel procedure for estimating the Fresnel reflection coefficient of a transversally homogeneous half-space medium is introduced. GPR multistatic measurements are exploited as data whereas the Fresnel coefficient (as a function of the incidence angle) is retrieved by inverting a linear integral equation. Having estimated the reflection coefficient it can be exploited to determine the medium electromagnetic parameters. Numerical examples are used to show procedure effectiveness for different types of homogeneous half-space media within a two-dimensional scalar geometry. The case of a layered half-space is also discussed.
"Determination of the Fresnel Reflection Coefficient of a Half-Space for Medium Estimation Purposes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 27, 61-82, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB10081606
1. Persico, R. and F. Soldovieri, "Effects of uncertainty on back-ground permittivity in one-dimensional linear inverse scattering," Journal of the Optical Society of America, Pt. A., Vol. 21, 2334-2343, 2004.
2. Hasar, U. C., "Permittivity measurement of thin dielectric materials from reflection only measurements using one-port vector network analyzers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 365-380, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09062501
3. Case, J. T., S. Peer, E. Gallaher, and R. Zoughi, "Microwave reflection properties of concrete periodically exposed to chloride solution of 3% Salinity and compression force," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measu., 1000-1004, 2004. doi:10.1109/TIM.2004.830743
4. Moradi, G. and A. Abdipour, "Measuring the permittivity of dielectric materials using STDR approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 357-365, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080201
5. Frolik, J., "On the feasibility of impulse reflection response data from onedimensional multilayered lossy media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 184-194, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809074
6. Mikhnev, V. A. and P. Vainikainen, "Two-step inverse scattering method for one-dimensional permittivity profiles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 293-298, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.833079
7. Uno, T. and S. Adachi, "Inverse scattering method for one dimensional inhomogeneous layered media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, 1456-1466, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144033
8. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "Free-space measurement of complex permittivity and complex permeability of magnetic materials at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measur., Vol. 39, 387-394, 1990. doi:10.1109/19.52520
9. Brancaccio, A., F. Soldovieri, G. Leone, D. Sglavo, and R. Pierri, "Microwave characterization of materials in civil engineering," Proceedings of the European Microwave Association, Vol. 2, 128-135, 2006.
10. Minet, J., S. Lambot, E. C. Slob, and M. Vanclooster, "Soil surface water content estimation by full-waveform GPR signal inversion in the presence of thin layers," IEEE Trans. Geosc. Rem. Sens., Vol. 48, 1138-1150, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2031907
11. Roy, J. E., "Values of effective complex permittivity of corrugated slabs computed by bistatic inverse scattering," Proc. of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 2010.
12. Solimene, R., G. Prisco, and F. Soldovieri, "GPR based soil electromagnetic parameters determination for subsurface imaging," Advances in Geosciences, Vol. 19, 39-44, 2008. doi:10.5194/adgeo-19-39-2008
13. Solimene, R., G. Prisco, and F. Soldovieri, "A soil estimation procedure for subsurface imaging purposes," Proceedings of the 5th IWAGPR, Granada, Spain, 2009.
14. Soldovieri, F., A. Brancaccio, G. Prisco, and G. Leone, "Characterization of ultra-wideband bow-tie antennas for ground penetrating radar systems," Microwave Journal, Vol. 49, 186-194, 2006.
15. Bertero, M. and P. Boccacci, Introduction to Inverse Problems in Imaging, IOP, Bristol, UK, 1998. doi:10.1887/0750304359
16. Slepian, D. and H. Pollak, "Prolate spheroidal wave functions fourier analysis and uncertainty I," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 40, 43-64, 1961.
17. Solimene, R., G. Leone, and R. Barresi, "Localizing a buried planar perfect electric conducting interface by multi-view data," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 10, 015010-1-015010-11, 2008.
18. Daniels, D. J., Ground Penetrating Radar, IEE Radar, Sonar and Navigation, UK, 2004. doi:10.1049/PBRA015E
19. Solimene, R., A. D'Alterio, and F. Soldovieri, "Half-space estimation by time gating based strategy," Proc. of GPR, Lecce, Italy, 2010.