A coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with a notch band characteristic is presented in the paper. The radiation patch of the proposed UWB antenna is designed using cantor set fractal technology. The bandwidth is broadened by setting two symmetrical triangular tapered corners at the bottom of the wide slot of the proposed UWB antenna. The notched band characteristic is achieved by employing a T-shaped tuning stub at the top of the wide slot. The notched band can be controlled by adjusting the length and the width of the T-shaped tuning stub to give tunable notched band function. The proposed cantor set fractal wide slot UWB antenna has been designed in details and optimized. Experimental and numerical results show that the proposed antenna, with compact size of 26×21 mm2, has an impedance bandwidth range from 2.8 GHz to 11 GHz for voltage standing-wave ratio (VSWR) less than 2, except the notch band frequency 5.0 GHz-6.3 GHz for HIPERLAN/2 and IEEE 802.11a (5.1 GHz-5.9 GHz).
"Analysis and Investigation of a Cantor Set Fractal UWB Antenna with a Notch-Band Characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 33, 99-114, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11053002
1. Federal Communications Commission, First report and order, Revision of Part 15 of commission's rule regarding UWB transmission system FCC 02-48, Washington, DC, April 22, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20040302
2. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 7, 403-405, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20646
3. Lee, S. H., J. K. Park, and J. N. Lee, "A novel CPW-fed ultrawideband antenna design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 393-395, 2005. doi:10.1049/el.2009.0966
4. Zheng, Z. A. and Q. X. Chu, "CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna with compact size," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 12, 593-594, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0075
5. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact coplanar waveguide-fed ultrawideband monopole- like slot antenna," IET Microwave Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 889-898, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC08030501
6. Li, Z., C.-X. Zhang, G.-M. Wang, and W.-R. Su, "Designs on CPW-FED aperture antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 1-6, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811061
7. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wide band shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 45, 901-903, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIERL08121803
8. Pu, L. and X.-M. Zhang, "Design of a low-profile dual exponentially tapered slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 67-74, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1792
9. Kim, H. and C. W. Jung, "Ultra-wideband endfire directional tapered slot antenna using CPW to wide-slot transition," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 17, 1183-1185, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10041706
10. Dastranj, A. and M. Biguesh, "Broadband coplanar waveguide-FED wide-slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 89-101, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.24368
11. Gao, G. P., J. S. Zhang, and T. Jin, "Printed ultra-wide band microstrip-line fed slot antenna with a band-notched function," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1573-1576, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER10040507
12. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021910
13. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultrawideband Antennas with on-ground slot band-notched structures ," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB10080511
14. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Planar monopole UWB antenna with unii1/unii2 WLAN-band notched characteristics ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 277-292, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2008.12.007
15. Eshtiaghi, R., R. Zaker, J. Nouronia, and C. Ghobadi, "UWB semi-elliptical printed monopole antenna with subband rejection filter," AEÜ-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 64, No. 2, 133-141, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0323
16. Ahmadi, B. and R. Faraji-Dana, "A miniaturised monopole antenna for ultra-wide band applications with band notch filter," IET Microwave Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1224-1231, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM08051203
17. Mohd Sobli, N. H. and H. E. Abd-El-Raouf, "Design of a compact printed band-notched antenna for ultrawideband communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 57-78, 2008. doi:10.1049/el.2010.8386
18. Li, Y. S., X. D. Yang, C. Y. Liu, and T. Jiang, "Compact CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 14, 967-968, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060208
19. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Planar UWB antenna with 5 GHz band rejection switching function at ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 321-333, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021910
20. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2007581
21. Chang, T. N. and M. C. Wu, "Band-notched design for UWB Antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 636-640, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20063713
22. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2 GHz notched ultrawideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, 2006. doi:10.1109/8.664115
23. Puente-Baliarda, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 46, No. 4, 517-524, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.900236
24. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. on Anten. and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1784, 2000. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1189650
25. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, 2003.
26. Vinoy, K. J., K. A. Jose, V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "Resonant frequency of Hilbert curve fractal antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 648-651, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIERL07110903
27. Khan, S. N., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna for low VSWR UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 19-25, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2000828
28. Manimegalai, B., S. Raju, and V. Abhaikumar, "A multi-fractal cantor antenna for multiband wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 359-362, 2009.
29. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Hand Book, 1st Ed., 794-795, Artech House, 2001.