In this paper, mathematical analysis supported by computer simulation is used to investigate the impact of both system and propagation loss parameters on the performance of cellular wireless network operating at microwave carrier frequencies greater than 2 GHz, where multiple tier of co-channel interfering cells are considered to be active. The two-slope path loss model and the uplink information capacity of the cellular network is used for the performance analysis. Results show that for carrier frequencies greater than 2 GHz and smaller cell radius multiple tier of co-channel interfering cells become active as compared to carrier frequencies lesser than 2 GHz. The multiple tier of co-channel interfering cells, leads to a decrease in the information capacity of the cellular wireless network. The results also show that the system performance is sensitive to most of the propagation model parameters such as the basic and extra path loss exponent.
Kwashie Amartei Anang,
Predrag B. Rapajic,
"Sensitivity of Cellular Wireless Network Performance to System & Propagation Parameters at Carrier Frequencies Greater Than 2 GHz
," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 40, 31-54, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB12012303
1. Lee, W. C. Y., "Spectrum efficiency in cellular [radio]," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 38, 69-75, May 1989. doi:10.1109/25.61338
2. Pahlavan, K. and A. H. Levesque, "Wireless data communication," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 82, 1398-1430, Sept. 1994. doi:10.1109/5.317085
3. Driessen, P. F. and G. J. Foschini, "On the capacity formula for multiple input-multiple output wireless channels: A geometric interpretation ," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 47, No. 2, 173-176, Feb. 1999. doi:10.1109/26.752119
4. Molisch, A. F., Wireless Communication, 31, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2005.
5. Masui, H., T. Kobayashi, and M. Akaike, "Microwave path-loss modeling in urban line-of-sight environments," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, No. 6, 1151-1155, Aug. 2002. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2002.801215
6. Hernández-Valdez, G., F. A. Cruz-Pérez, and D. Lara-Rodríguez, "Sensitivity of the system performance to the propagation parameters in LOS microcellular environments," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, No. 6, 3488-3508, Nov. 2008. doi:10.1109/TVT.2008.919608
7. Jakes, W. C., Microwave Mobile Communications, 100-142, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1994.
8. Takada, J., J. Fu, H. Zhu, and T. Kobayashi, "Spatiotemporal channel characterization in a suburban non line-of-sight micro-cellular environment," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, No. 3, 532-538, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/49.995512
9. Pabst, R., B. H. Walke, D. C. Schultz, P. Herhold, S. Mukherjee, H. Viswanathan, M. Lott, W. Zirwas, M. Dohler, H. Aghvami, D. D. Falconer, and G. P. Fettweis, "Relay-based deployment concepts for wireless and mobile broadband radio," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 9, 80-89, Sept. 2004. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2004.1336724
10. Kitao, K. and S. Ichitsubo, "Path loss prediction formula for microcell in 400MHz to 8 GHz band," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 11, 685-686, May 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040475
11. Goldsmith, A. J. and J. Greenstein, "A measurement-based model for predicting coverage areas of urban microcells," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 11, No. 7, 1013-1023, Sept. 1993. doi:10.1109/49.233214
12. Xia, H. H., H. L. Bertoni, L. R. Maciel, A. Lindsay-Stewart, and R. Rowe, "Radio propagation characteristics for line-of-sight microcellular and personal communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1439-1447, Oct. 1993. doi:10.1109/8.247785
13. Oda, Y., K. Tsuunekawa, and M. Hata, "Advanced los pathloss model in microcellular mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 49, No. 6, 2121-2125, Nov. 2000. doi:10.1109/25.901884
14. Ho, C., J. Copeland, C. Lea, and G. Stuber, "Impact of the cell size on the cell's Erlang capacity and call admission control in the ds/cdma cellular networks ," Proc. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf., Vol. 1, 385-389, May 2000.
15. Cruz-Perez, F. A., D. Lara-Rodriguez, and M. Lara, "Full- and half-square cell plans in urban CDMA microcellular networks," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 52, No. 3, 502-511, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TVT.2003.811531
16. Min, S. and H. L. Bertoni, "Effect of path loss on CDMA system design for highway microcells," Proc. 48th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 1009-1013, Ottawa, Canada, May 1998.
17. Anang, K. A., P. B. Rpajic, T. I. Eneh, and B. Lawal, "Sensitivity of information capacity of land mobile cellular system to propagation loss parameters at higher microwave frequencies," Proc. 7th IEEE International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, 630-635, Istanbul, Turkey, Jul. 2011.
18. Sánchez, M. G., I. Cuinas, and A. V. Alejos, "Electromagnetic field level temporal variation in urban areas," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 5, 233-234, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20047507
19. Neškovié, A., N. Neškovic, and D. Paunovc, "Macrocell electric field strength prediction model based upon artificial neural networks," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, No. 6, 1170-1176, Aug. 2002. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2002.801217
20. Harley, P., "Short distance attenuation measurements at 900MHz and 1.8 GHz using low antenna heights for microcells," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 7, No. 1, 5-11, Jan. 1989. doi:10.1109/49.16838
21. Rustako, A. J., N. Amitay, G. J. Owen, and R. R. Roman, "Radio propagation at microwave frequencies for line-of-light microcellular mobile and personal communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 40, No. 1, 203-210, Feb. 1991. doi:10.1109/25.69989
22. Domazetovi, A., L. J. Greenstein, N. B. Mandayam, and I. Seskar, "Progation models for short-range wireless channels with predictable path geometries," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 35, No. 7, 1123-1126, Jul. 2005.
23. ITU, Propagation data and prediction methods for planning of short-range outdoor radiocommunication systems and radio local area networks in the frequency range 300MHz to 100 GHz, Recommendation ITU-R P.1411-1, iTU Radiocommunication Assembly.
24. Clark, M. V., V. Erceg, and L. J. Greenstein, "Reuse efficiency in urban microcellular networks," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 1, 421-425, Apr. 1996.
25. Cuinas, I. and M. G. S'anchez, "Wide-band measurements of nondeterministic effects on the bran indoor radio channel," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1167-1175, Jul. 2004. doi:10.1109/TVT.2004.830142
26. Alouini, M. and A. J. Goldsmith, "Area spectral efficiency of cellular mobile radio systems," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 48, No. 4, 1047-1065, Jul. 1999. doi:10.1109/25.775355
27. Lee, W. C. Y., Mobile Communication Design Fundamentals, 142, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1993.
28. Lee, W. C. Y., "Elements of cellular mobile radio systems," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 35, No. 2, 48-56, May 1986. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1986.24070
29. Anang, K. A., P. B. Rpajic, T. I. Eneh, and Y. Nijsure, "Minimum cell size for information capacity increase in cellular wireless network," Proc. 73rd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 305-311, Budapest, Hungary, May 2011.