In this paper, two different kinds of near-field measurement techniques are presented. The first one uses coaxial probes that do not give precise measurements on microelectronic devices. We saw in  that the spatial resolution of these probes reach 500 μm for monopole and is millimetric for dipole probe. The second one is based on the Pockels effect that converts an electromagnetic (EM) field into optical modulation. Our objective is to improve the Ex/Ey near-field measurement with this second technique. The performance of the electro-optic (EO) probe is compared with dipole probes of 2.5 and 5 mm with the use of simulations and measurements, on a wire above a ground plane and on coupled microstrip lines. At the end, a discussion about the technical limitations of the EO probe is made.
"Improvement of Electrical Near-Field Measurements with an Electro-Optic Test Bench," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 40, 381-398, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB12020107
1. Chevallier, D., D. Baudry, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Study of near-field techniques for microelectronic applications," Proc. Iconic, 197-202, Taipei, Taiwan, Jun. 2009.
2. Baudry, D., C. Arcambal, A. Louis, B. Mazari, and P. Eudeline, "Applications of the near-field techniques in EMC applications," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, 485-493, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2007.902194
3. Weng, H., D. G. Beetner, R. E. Dubroff, and J. Shi, "Estimation of high-frequency currents from near-field scan measurements," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 4, 805-815, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2007.908264
4. Vives, Y., C. Arcambal, A. Louis, F. de Daran, P. Eudeline, and B. Mazari, "Modeling magnetic radiations of electronic circuits using near-field scanning method," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 2, 391-399, May 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2006.890168
5. Alvarez, Y., M. Rodriguez, F. Las-Heras, and M. M. Hernando, "On the use of the source reconstruction method for estimating radiated EMI in electronic circuits," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 49, No. 12, 3174-3183, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/TIM.2009.2036455
6. Hernando, M. M., A. Fernandez, M. Arias, M. Rodriguez, Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "EMI radiated noise measurements using the sources reconstruction technique," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 9, 3258-3265, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1109/TIE.2008.928042
7. Bouchelouk, L., Z. Riah, D. Baudry, M. Kadi, A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Characterization of electromagnetic fields close to microwave devices using electric dipole probes ," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Apr. 2007.
8. Baudry, D., A. Louis, and B. Mazari, "Characterization of the open-ended coaxial probe used for near-field measurements in EMC applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 311-333, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112501
9. Manjombe, Y. T., Y. Azzouz, D. Baudry, B. Ravelo, and M. E. H. Benbouzid, "Experimental investigation on the power electronic transistor parameters influence to the near-field radiation for the EMC applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 189-209, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11092302
10. Baudry, D., P. Fernandez-Lopez, B. Ejarque, N. Bigou, L. Bouchelouk, M. Ramdani, and S. Serpaud, "Near-field probes characterization and inter-laboratory comparisons of measurements," Proc. EMC Compo, Toulouse, Nov. 2009.
11. Yang, K., L. P. Katehi, and J. F. Whitaker, "Electric field mapping system using an optical-fiber based electrooptic probe," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 4, Apr. 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.916331
12. Yamazaki, E., S. Wakana, M. Kishi, and M. Tsuchiya, "Fabrication of broad-band fiber-optic magnetic field probe and its application to intensity and phase distribution measurements of GHz frequency magnetic field," IEEE Microwave Photonics, 77-80, Nov. 2002.
13. Whitaker, J. F., R. Reano, and P. B. Katehi, "Electro-optic field mapping as a diagnostic tool for microwave circuits and antenna arrays ," Microwave Photonics, 73-76, Nov. 2002.
14. Duvillaret, L., S. Rialland, and J. L. Coutaz, "Electro-optic sensors for electric field measurement. I. Theoretical comparison among different modulation techniques," J. Optic., Vol. 19, No. 11, Nov. 2002.
15. Gaborit, G., "Caractérisation de champs électriques hyperfréquences par capteurs électro-optique vectoriels fibrés,", Doctorat de l'université de Savoie, Nov. 2005.
16. Duvillaret, L., S. Rialland, and J. L. Coutaz, "Electro-optic sensors for electric field measurements. II. Choice of the crystals and complete optimization of their orientation," J. Optic Soc. Am. B, Vol. 19, No. 11, Nov. 2002.
18. Togo, H., N. Shimizu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Near-field mapping system using fiber-based electro-optic probe for specific absorption rate measurement," IEICE Trans. on Electron., Vol. 90, No. 2, Feb. 2007.
19. Gao, Y., A. Lauer, Q. Ren, and I. Wolff, "Calibration of electric coaxial near-field probes and applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 11, 1694-1703, Nov. 1998. doi:10.1109/22.734563
20. IEEE standard for calibration of electromagnetic field sensors and probes, excluding antennas, from 9 kHz to 40 GHz , IEEE Std., 1309-1346, 1996.
23. Iwanami, M., M. Nakada, H. Tsuda, K. Ohashi, and J. Akedo, "Ultra small electro-optic field probe fabricated by aerosol deposition," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 4, No. 2, 26-32. doi:10.1587/elex.4.26
24. Brahimi, R., A. Komaga, M. Bensetti, D. Baudry, Z. Riah, and B. Mazari, "Post-processing of near-field measurement based on neural networks," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 60, 539-546, Feb. 2011. doi:10.1109/TIM.2010.2050373