Fractal-shaped microwave passive circuits offer a great deal of promise for achieving good performance in small circuits. In this paper, isosceles right-angled triangular patch resonator with fractal hole is analyzed, and new single band and dual-band RF filters by using isosceles right-angled triangular patch resonators with fractal pattern are proposed. It is shown that with the assistance of a fractal, the right-angled triangular resonator can be miniaturized and filter performance is greatly improved, simultaneously, resonance of the resonator higher order mode is enhanced, which is helpful for a dual-band filter implementation. Two proposed fractal bandpass filters are fabricated, and their performance is verified by measurement. The proposed filters demonstrate the applications of right-angled triangular patch resonator and exhibit advantages of a simple structural topology and compactness, which are essential in RF circuit design.
"Right-Angled Triangular Patch Resonator and Filter with Fractal Hole," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 40, 141-158, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB12020608
1. Hong, J. S. and S. Li, "Theory and experiment of dual-mode microstrip triangular-patch resonators and filters," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, 1237-1243, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.825653
2. Xiao, J.-K., Q.-X. Chu, and S. Zhang, "Novel microstrip triangular resonator bandpass filter with transmission zeros and wide bands using fractal-shaped defection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 343-356, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07081901
3. Hong, J. S., "Microstrip dual-mode band reject filter," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 945-948, 2005.
4. Helszajn, J. and D. S. James, "Planar triangular resonators with magnetic walls," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, 95-100, 1978. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1978.1129320
5. Alhawari, A. R. H. and A. Ismail, "Compact wideband bandpass filter using single corners-cut isosceles triangular patch resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 227-237, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10060102
6. Xiao, J.-K., "Triangular resonator bandpass filter with tunable operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 167-176, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08010606
7. Kim, I. K., N. Kingsley, M. Morton, et al. "Fractal-shaped microstrip coupled-line bandpass filters for suppression of second harmonic," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 2943-2948, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.854263
8. Yousefzadeh, N., C. Ghobadi, and M. Kamyab, "Consideration of mutual coupling in a microstrip patch array using fractal elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 41-49, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06081401
9. Asad, H., M. Zubair, and M. J. Mughal, "Reflection and transmission at dielectric-fractal interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 543-558, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12012402
10. Li, T., G.-M. Wang, K. Lu, et al. "Novel bandpass filter based on CSRR using koch fractal curve," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 121-128, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11082903
11. Bahl, I. and P. Bhartia, Microwave Solid State Circuit Design, John Wiley & Sons Press, New York, 1988.
12. Ansoft Ensemble 8.0, Ansoft Inc..
13. Jarry, P. and J. Beneat, Design and Realization of Miniaturized Fractal RF and Microwave Filters, John Wiley & Sons Press, New York, 2009.