A planar folded dipole antenna with triple-band operation for WLAN and WiMAX applications is proposed. It comprises a pair of symmetrical branch arms, which occupy a compact size of 35(L)x4(W) mm2 to be easily embedded inside a portable device as an internal antenna. By properly designing the branch radiating strips, three operating bands covering 2.39-2.5 GHz, 3.3-3.94 GHz, and 5.06-6.06 GHz can be acquired with the antenna. Moreover, the antenna's resonance can be appropriately adjusted to optimize the radiation performance for actual application. A fabricated prototype of the proposed antenna is tested and analyzed. Experiments show that good omnidirectional coverage and stable gain variation to enhance communication quality for WLAN/WiMAX operations can be obtained with the antenna.
1. Su, S. W. , T. C. Hong, and , "A bent, short-circuited, metalplate dipole antenna for 2.4-GHz WLAN operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 191-197, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10062311
2. Su, , C. M., H. T. Chen, and K. L.Wong, "Printed dual-band dipole antenna with U-slotted arms for 2.4/5.2 GHz WLAN operation," Electron Lett.,, Vol. 38, No. 22, 1308-1309, , 2002.. doi:10.1049/el:20020919
3. Stoiljkovic, V., , S. Suganthan, and M. Benhaddou, "A novel dual-band centre-fed printed dipole antenna," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. ig.,, Vol. 2, 938-941, , 2003.
4. Shen, , X. M., , Y. Z. Yin, C. Y. Su, and S. L. Zuo, \, "Broadband dual frequency spider-shaped printed dipole antenna for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 52, No. 4, , 917-919, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25041
5. Zhang, , Z, J., , M. F. Iskander, J. C. Langer, and J. Mathews, "Dual-band WLAN dipole antenna using an internal matching circuit ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1813-1818, 1818. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.846784
6. Kuo, F. Y., , H. T. Chou, H. T. Hsu, H. H. Chou, and P. Nepa, "A novel dipole antenna design with an over 100% operational bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2737-2741, 2010.. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2050434
7. Nazli, , H., E. Bicak, B. Turetken, and M. Sezgin, "An improved design of planar elliptical dipole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 264-267, 2010.. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2046999
8. Hu, , Y. S., , M. Li, G. P. Gao, J. S. Zhang, and M. K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011604
9. Wang, , F. J., , J. S. Zhang, X. X. Yang, and G. P. Gao, "Time domain characteristics of a double-printed UWB dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 3, 161-168, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08032402
10. Wu, , Q., , R. H. Jin, J. P. Geng, and D. L. Su, "On the performance of printed dipole antenna with novel composite corrugated-re°ectors for low-pro¯le ultrawideband applications," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., , 3839-3846, 2010.
11. Shambavi, , K. , Z. C. Alex, and , "Printed dipole antenna with band rejection characteristics for UWB applications," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., 1029-1032, 2010..
12. Zhang, Y. Y. , H. Y. D. Yang, and , "Bandwidth-enhanced electrically small printed folded dipoles," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., , 236-239, 2010.
13. Floc'h, , J. M. , H. Rmili, and , "Design of multiband printed dipole antennas using parasitic elements," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., , Vol. 48, No. 8, , 1639-1645, , 2006.. doi:10.1002/mop.21714
14. Chang, , K., , H. Kim, and Y. J. Yoon, "A triple-band printed dipole antenna using parasitic elements," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett.,, Vol. 47, No. 3, 221-223, , 2005.. doi:10.1002/mop.21129
15. Abu, , M., , M. K. A. Rahim, M. K. Suaidi, I. M. Ibrahim, and N. M. Nor, "A meandered triple-band printed dipole antenna for RFID ," Proc. Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1958-1961, 2009. doi:10.1109/APMC.2009.5385292
16. Abu, , M., , M. K. A. Rahim, O. B. Ayop, and F. Zubir, "Triple-band printed dipole antenna with single-band AMC-HIS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 225-244, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10022301
17. Chen, , S. Y., , Y. C. Chen, and P. W. Hsu, "CPW-fed aperture-coupled slot dipole antenna for tri-band operation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 535-537, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2006071