A novel Koch fractal printed Yagi-Uda antenna fed by coplanar waveguide (CPW) is proposed and analyzed. The antenna has first-order Koch fractal monopoles, and the monopoles' ground plane acts as the ground plane of the antenna. The radiation characteristics of the antenna are simulated by CST Microwave Studio® and explained by the simulated results. The antenna's currents distribution becomes more uniform after being fractal, which is conducive to increasing antenna's radiation directivity. The proposed Koch fractal Yagi-Uda antenna has an operating band of 885-913 MHz (relative bandwidth 3.1%) with the center frequency of 900 MHz. The total antenna size is 171 mm×85 mm (0.51λ×0.25λ) and the length in the antenna's polarization direction is only 25% of the wavelength corresponding to the center frequency. Compared to traditional Yagi-Uda antenna, the proposed antenna can achieve a 50% miniaturization effect.
"Design and Analysis of a Novel CPW-Fed Koch Fractal Yagi-Uda Antenna with Small Electric Length," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 33, 67-79, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12082707
1. Qian, Y., W. R. Deal, N. Kaneda, et al. "Microstrip-fed quasi-Yagi antenna with broadband characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 23, 2194-2196, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19981583
2. Yong, C., Y. J. Guo, and P.-Y. Qin, "Frequency switchable printed Yagi-Uda dipole sub-array for base station antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1639-1642, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180337
3. Zhang, X., S. Lin, G. Huang, R. Jiang, and R. Cai, "Research on broadband and high-gain Quasi-Yagi antenna and array," 2011 International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems Engineering (CASE), 1-4, Jul. 30, 2011.
4. Kouzaki, T., K. Kimoto, S. Kubota, et al. "Quasi Yagi-Uda antenna array for detecting targets in a dielectric substrate," ICUWB 2009, 759-762, Sep. 11, 2009.
5. Lin, S., G.-L. Huang, R.-N. Cai, et al. "Novel printed Yagi-Uda antenna with high-gain and broadband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 107-117, 2011.
6. Huang, H.-C., J.-C. Lu, and P. Hsu, "A simple planar high-directivity Yagi-Uda antenna with a concave parabolic reflector," 2010 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, May 24, 2010.
7. Baliarda, C. P., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "The Koch monopole: A small fractal antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 11, 1773-1781, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.900236
8. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "A Koch-like sided fractal bow-tie dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2242-2251, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189719
9. Fazal, D., Q. U. Khan, and M. B. Ihsan, "Use of partial Koch boundaries for improved return loss, gain and sidelobe levels of triangular patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 15, 902-903, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.1880
10. Anuradha, A. P. and S. N. Sinha, "Design of custom-made fractal multi-band antennas using ANN-PSO," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 4, 94-101, 2011. doi:10.1109/MAP.2011.6097296
11. Chung, Y. C. and K. Lee, "2.4 GHz Yagi-Uda RFID tag antenna design with low back-lobe using genetic algorithm," 2008 IEEE Conference on Radio and Wireless Symposium, 475-478, Feb. 23, 2008.
12. Melais, S. E. and T. M. Weller, "A Quasi Yagi antenna backed by a metal reflector," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3868-3872, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007403
13. Grajek, P. R., B. Schoenlinner, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 24-GHz high-gain Yagi-Uda antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1257-1261, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827543
14. Mendez, J. A. T., H. Jardon-Aguilar, R. Flores-Leal, M. Reyes-Ayala, and F. Iturbide-Sanchez, "Inductively-loaded Yagi-Uda antenna with cylindrical cover for size reduction VHF-UHF bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 357-362, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096397