A novel design of a temple shaped printed slot antenna for circular polarization applications is presented in this paper. The slot, half trapezoidal and half semi-circular in shape, is excited by a 50 Ω CPW feed terminated with a tuning stub. Modifications of the initial design for improving return loss and circular polarization characteristics are proposed and discussed. The antenna is very compact (40 mm x 35 mm) in size and simple to design. The final version of the antenna offers an experimentally measured impedance bandwidth of 108% i.e., from 2.75 GHz to 9.25 GHz. The 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth achieved is 51.6% i.e., from 4.6 GHz to 7.8 GHz. The antenna is further characterized by a peak gain of about 5 dB and a relatively stable radiation pattern in the useful band.
Raghupatruni Ram Krishna,
"Design of Temple Shape Slot Antenna for Ultra Wideband Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 47, 405-421, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12111001
1. Lee, K. F. and K. M. Luk, Microstrip Patch Antennas, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 2011. doi:10.1142/p669
2. Chang, T. N. and G. A. Tsai, "A wideband coplanar waveguide-fed circularly polarized antenna," IET Microwaves and Antennas Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 4, 343-347, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20070126
3. Augustin, G. and T. A. Denidni, "Coplanar waveguide-fed uniplanar trapezoidal antenna with linear and circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2522-2526, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189724
4. Zhou, S.-W., P.-H. Li, Y. Wang, W.-H. Feng, and Z.-Q. Liu, "A CPW-fed broadband circularly polarized regular-hexagonal slot antenna with L-shape monopole," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1182-1185, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2172570
5. Du, S. and Q.-X. Chu, "A CPW-fed broadband circularly-polarized square slot antenna with E-shaped slits in ground plane ," Proceedings of the 39th European Microwave Conference, 225-227, Rome, Italy, 2009.
6. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of CPW-fed circularly polarized slot antenna with a miniature configuration," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1465-1468, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2179912
7. Chen, Q., H.-L. Zheng, T. Quan, and X. Li, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized antenna with equiangular tapered-shaped feedline for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 83-95, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11110603
8. Wang, C.-J. and C.-H. Chen, "CPW-fed stair-shaped slot antennas with circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2483-2486, August 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024586
9. Sze, J.-Y., C.-I. G. Hsu, Z.-W. Chen, and C.-C. Chang, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with lightening-shaped feedline and inverted-L grounded strips ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 973-977, March 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2039335
10. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2012.
11. Ahdi Rezaeieh, S. and M. Kartal, "A new triple band circularly polarized square slot antenna design with crooked T-and F-shaped strips for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 1-18, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11081506
12. Chen, W. S., "A novel broadband design of a printed rectangular slot antenna for wireless applications," Microwave Journal, Vol. 49, No. 1, 122-130, 2006.
13. Li, P., P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1670-1675, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.875499