Four ultra-wideband (UWB) antennas are proposed: one referenced antenna without notch and three novel antennas with one, two and three notched-bands, respectively. The UWB referenced antenna consists of a beveled rectangular metal patch, a 50 Ω microstrip line and a defective ground plane. Then, by utilizing one, two and three electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures on the UWB antenna, respectively, the antennas present one, two and three notched-band responses. The frequency domain characteristics including VSWR, transfer coefficient S21, radiation patterns and Group delay are investigated. It is found that the EBG design approach is a good candidate for frequency rejection at the desired frequencies, owing to high performance of notch design and the notched-band bandwidth controlling abilities. Meanwhile, these abilities also enable less useful frequencies false rejected. The design examples exhibit good band-rejected characteristics in the WiMAX/WLAN interference bands (3.4, 5.2 and 5.8-GHz bands). Moreover, good time-domain characteristics of the antennas are checked based on group delay, waveform response, correlation factor and pulse width stretch ratio (SR). Therefore, the antennas are good candidates for portable UWB devices.
"Design and Time-Domain Analysis of Compact Multi-Band-Notched UWB Antennas with EBG Structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 47, 339-357, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12113012
1. Vorobyov, A. V. and A. G. Yarovoy, "Human body impact on UWB antenna radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 22, 259-269, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM11112306
2. Chen, Z. N., T. S. P. See, and X. M. Qing, "Small printed ultrawideband antenna with reduced ground plane effect," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 383-388, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889823
3. Liang, J. X., C. C. Chiau, X. D. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
4. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of ultrawideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.912946
5. Ghatak, R., A. Karmakar, and D. R. Poddar, "A circular shaped Sierpinski carpet fractal UWB monopole antenna with band rejection capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 221-234, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11082801
6. Yang, G., Q.-X. Chu, and T.-G. Huang, "A compact UWB antenna with sharp dual band-notched characteristics for lower and upper WLAN band ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 135-148, 2012.
7. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007368
8. Peng, L., C. L. Ruan, and X. C. Yin, "Analysis of the small slot-loaded elliptical patch antenna with a band-notched for UWB applications ," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 4, 973-976, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24247
9. Zhang, S.-M., F.-S. Zhang, W.-Z. Li, T. Quan, and H.-Y. Wu, "A compact UWB monopole antenna with WiMAX and WLAN band rejections," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 159-168, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL12032003
10. Tilanthe, P., P. C. Sharma, and T. K. Bandopadhyay, "A monopole microstrip antenna with enhanced dual band rejection for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 315-331, 2012.
11. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "A compact band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 129-138, 2011.
12. Liu, W. X. and Y.-Z. Yin, "Dual band-notched antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 21-30, 2011.
13. Peng, L., C. L. Ruan, Y. L. Chen, and G. M. Zhang, "A novel band-notched elliptical ring monopole antenna with a coplanar parasitic elliptical patch for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 517-528, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784150362
14. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB Antenna with single or dual band-notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027727
15. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultrawideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 495-498, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.886303
16. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114090
17. Rajo-Iglesias, E., L. Inclan-Sanchez, J. L. Vazquez-Roy, and E. Garcia-Muoz, "Size reduction of mushroom-type EBG surfaces by using edge-located vias," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 9, 670-672, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.903456
18. Thomas, K. G. and M. A. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 1, 27-34, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036279
19. Kwon, D. H., "Effect of antenna gain and group delay variations on pulse-preserving capabilities of ultrawideband antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2208-2215, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879189
20. Yang, Y. Y., Q. X. Chu, and Z. A. Zheng, "Time domain characteristics of band-notched ultrawideband antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3426-3430, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2028708
21. Zheng, Z. A., Q. X. Chu, and Z. H. Tu, "Compact band-rejected ultrawideband slot antennas inserting with λ/2 and λ/4 resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 390-397, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096399
23. Kumar, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "UWB printed slot antenna with improved performance in time and frequency domains," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 197-210, 2011.