In this paper, an algorithm based on penalty cost function for synthesizing at-top patterns is proposed. A descent algorithm (DA) as its optimizing approach is proposed in this paper as well. Apparently, whole algorithm efficiency totally depends on the DA. Unlike traditional descent method, the DA defines step length by solving a inequality, instead of Wolf or Armijo-type search rule, stimulation results indicate that it can improve the computational efficiency. Under mild conditions, we prove that the DA has strong convergence properties. Several numerical examples are presented to illustrate the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm. The results indicate that the approach is effective in the pattern shape precisely in both mainlobe and sidelobe region for arbitrary linear arrays.
Tiao Jun Zeng,
"Penalty Function Solution to Pattern Synthesis of Antenna Array by a Descent Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 49, 281-300, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12122808
1. Li, R., L. Xu, X.-W. Shi, N. Zhang, and Z.-Q. Lv, "Improved differential evolution strategy for antenna array pattern synthesis problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 429-441, 2011.
2. Lin, C., A.-Y. Qing, and Q.-Y. Feng, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using differential evolution," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2553-2561, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048864
3. Wang, W.-B., Q.-Y. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
4. Liu, D., Q.-Y. Feng, W.-B. Wang, and X. Yu, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using inheritance learning particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 205-221, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11050502
5. Li, W.-T., Y.-Q. Hei, and X.-W. Shi, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by a modified particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 237-252, 2011.
6. Mahanti, , G. , K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelob elevel using real-coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07061304
7. Xu, Z., et al. "Pattern synthesis of conformal antenna array by the hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 75-90, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091901
8. Chen, K., Z. He, and C. Han, "A modified real GA for the sparse linear array synthesis with multiple constraints," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2169-2173, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.877211
9. Yuan, W., et al. "Nonlinear least-square solution to flat-top pattern synthesis using arbitrary linear array," Signal Processing,, Vol. 85, 1869-1874, Sept. 2005.
10. Li, M. and H. Feng, "A sufficient descent LS conjugate gradient method for unconstrained optimization problems," Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 218, 1577-1586, Nov. 1, 2011.
11. Nocedal, J. and S. J. Wright, Numerical optimization, Springer Verlag, 1999. doi:10.1007/b98874
12. Zhang, X.-D., Matrix Analysis and Application, Springer, 2004.