A novel design of a CPW fed printed monopole antenna for dual polarization applications is proposed in this paper. The monopole is formed of a rectangular patch embedded with a hour-glass shaped slot. In a modified version of the antenna, an additional spiral shaped slot is incorporated in the ground plane. The overall dimensions of the antenna are kept at 40 x 40 mm. The impedance bandwidth achieved by the first antenna is 123% from 2.5 GHz to 10.5 GHz which is further increased to 145.5% at the center frequency of 11 GHz with the second antenna. A low polarization ratio (< 10 dB) arising from increased cross-polarization is obtained in the frequency band of 4 GHz to 10 GHz making the antenna useful for dual-polarization applications in this band.
Raghupatruni Ram Krishna,
"Design of Dual Polarized Asymmetrically Fed Slotted Rectangular Printed Monopole Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 49, 55-76, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13011712
1. Khalegi Bisaki, H., MIMO Systems, Theory and Applications, InTech Open Science Publications, 2011. doi:10.5772/610
2. Lai, H.-W. and K.-M. Luk, "Dual polarized patch antenna fed by meandering probes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2625-2627, September 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904158
3. Liu, C., J.-L. Guo, Y.-H. Huang, and L.-Y. Zhou, "A novel dual-polarized antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 32, 129-136, 2012.
4. Pinchera, D. and F. Schettino, "A dual-polarized parasitic patch antenna for MIMO systems," Proceedings of the 39th European Microwave Conference, 642-644, Rome, Italy, September 2009.
5. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
6. Wang, X., W. Chen, Z. Feng, H, and Zhang, "Compact dual-polarized antenna combining printed monopole and half slot antenna for MIMO applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Proceedings, 1-4, Beijing, China, June 2009.
7. Yang, S.-L. S., K.-M. Luk, H.-W. La, A.-A. Kishk, and K.-F. Lee, "A Dual-polarized antenna with pattern diversity," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 5, 71-79, December 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4768926
8. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Wideband dual-frequency dual-polarized dipole-like antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 831-834, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2164609
9. Zhang, X.-Q., Y.-C. Jiao, and W.-H. Wang, "Compact dual-band dual-sense circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna," Progress n Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 34, 197-205, 2012.
10. Amini, M. H., H. R. Hassani, and S. Mohammad Ali Nezhad, "A single feed reconfigurable polarization printed monopole antenna," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation Proceedings, Prague, Czech Republic, March 2012.
11. Wang, M., W. Wu, and D.-G. Fang, "Uniplanar single corner-fed dual-band dual-polarization patch antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 30, 41-48, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11112704