A substrate-integrated-waveguide (SIW) antenna with high directivity for data transmission between a missile and a control platform, usually an aircraft, is presented. By simply setting vias and loading parasitic elements to a rectangle patch on an FR4 substrate, good resonance with effective concentration of current was therefore achieved. For verification, constructed prototypes of both the proposed SIW antenna and the 2/3 scaled system of the designed SIW antenna mounted on the missile were simulated and measured. Good agreement between both has been obtained. The original SIW antenna working at C band has an operating bandwidth of 100 MHz (4.78-4.88 GHz ) and an average gain of about 5 dBi as well, whereas the scaled missile-mounted antenna system has an operating bandwidth of 160 MHz (7.15-7.31 GHz ) with a peak gain of 3.7 dBi at 7.24 GHz. Also, directive radiation patterns suitable for use on data transmission in a missileaircraft transceiver system have been measured for the both cases.
"Design of Missile-Mounted SIW Antenna with High Directivity for Data Transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 38, 79-88, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13012910
1. Chen, C., J. Zhang, L. Li, and H. Chen, "Research of the missile and aircraft base mounted antennas for data transmission," Int. Conf. Microwave Millimeter Wave Technol., 392-394, 2010.
2. Xu, Z.-Q., Y. Shi, P. Wang, J. X. Liao, and X.-B. Wei, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter with hexagonal resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1521-1527, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.703951
3. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetcs Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110307
4. Hizan, H. M., I. C. Hunter, and A. I. Abunjaileh, "Integrated SIW filter and microstrip antenna," European Microwave Conf., 184-187, 2010.
5. Hu, G., C. Liu, L. Yan, K. Huang, and W. Menzel, "Novel dual mode substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1661-1672, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149768
6. Masa-Campos, J.-L., P. Rodriguez-Fernandez, M. Sierra-Peerez, and J.-L. Fernandez-Jambrina, "Monopulse circularly polarized siw slot array antenna in millimetre band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 857-868, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794827311
7. Zeng, Z., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, H. Tang, and J. Chen, "The design and experiment of a dual-band omni-directional SIW slot array antenna," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 1-4, 2007.
8. Guang, , H., H. Wei, H. S. Xing, and H. X. Zhou, "Design of an omnidirectional line array with SIW longitudinal slot antenna," Int. Conf. on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technol., 1114-1117, 2008.
9. Liu, B., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, X. Yin, G. Luo, J. Chen, H. Tang, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) monopulse slot antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 275-279, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009743
10. Lin, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09020503
11. Wahab, W. M. A., D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi, "A substrate-integrated-waveguide (SIW) quadrature hybrid-junction for low cost millimeter-wave planar antenna array," IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propag., 1-4, 2010.
12. Smith, N. A. and R. Abhari, "Microstrip-fed circular substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) cavity resonator and antenna," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas and Propag., 1-4, 2010.
13. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Design consideration and performance analysis of substrate integrated waveguide components," Microwave Conf., 1-4, 2002.