A substrate-integrated-waveguide (SIW) antenna with high directivity for data transmission between a missile and a control platform, usually an aircraft, is presented. By simply setting vias and loading parasitic elements to a rectangle patch on an FR4 substrate, good resonance with effective concentration of current was therefore achieved. For verification, constructed prototypes of both the proposed SIW antenna and the 2/3 scaled system of the designed SIW antenna mounted on the missile were simulated and measured. Good agreement between both has been obtained. The original SIW antenna working at C band has an operating bandwidth of 100 MHz (4.78-4.88 GHz ) and an average gain of about 5 dBi as well, whereas the scaled missile-mounted antenna system has an operating bandwidth of 160 MHz (7.15-7.31 GHz ) with a peak gain of 3.7 dBi at 7.24 GHz. Also, directive radiation patterns suitable for use on data transmission in a missileaircraft transceiver system have been measured for the both cases.
1. Chen, C., J. Zhang, L. Li, and H. Chen, "Research of the missile and aircraft base mounted antennas for data transmission," Int. Conf. Microwave Millimeter Wave Technol., 392-394, 2010.
2. Xu, Z.-Q., Y. Shi, P. Wang, J. X. Liao, and X.-B. Wei, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter with hexagonal resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1521-1527, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.703951
3. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetcs Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110307
4. Hizan, H. M., I. C. Hunter, and A. I. Abunjaileh, "Integrated SIW filter and microstrip antenna," European Microwave Conf., 184-187, 2010.
5. Hu, G., C. Liu, L. Yan, K. Huang, and W. Menzel, "Novel dual mode substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1661-1672, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149768
6. Masa-Campos, J.-L., P. Rodriguez-Fernandez, M. Sierra-Peerez, and J.-L. Fernandez-Jambrina, "Monopulse circularly polarized siw slot array antenna in millimetre band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 857-868, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794827311
7. Zeng, Z., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, H. Tang, and J. Chen, "The design and experiment of a dual-band omni-directional SIW slot array antenna," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 1-4, 2007.
8. Guang, , H., H. Wei, H. S. Xing, and H. X. Zhou, "Design of an omnidirectional line array with SIW longitudinal slot antenna," Int. Conf. on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technol., 1114-1117, 2008.
9. Liu, B., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, X. Yin, G. Luo, J. Chen, H. Tang, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) monopulse slot antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 275-279, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009743
10. Lin, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09020503
11. Wahab, W. M. A., D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi, "A substrate-integrated-waveguide (SIW) quadrature hybrid-junction for low cost millimeter-wave planar antenna array," IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propag., 1-4, 2010.
12. Smith, N. A. and R. Abhari, "Microstrip-fed circular substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) cavity resonator and antenna," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas and Propag., 1-4, 2010.
13. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Design consideration and performance analysis of substrate integrated waveguide components," Microwave Conf., 1-4, 2002.