Square slot antennas with modified edges for broadband circular polarization are presented. Slots with only stubs or notches are studied and it is found that the axial ratio (AR) bandwidth is quite sensitive to the perturbations of the stubs and notches. To further enhance the AR bandwidth, slot antennas with combination of stubs and notches are proposed and wide 3-dB AR bandwidth of 15.5% (2.45-2.86 GHz) is obtained. By placing a conducting reflector at the rear of the slot, another modified square slot antenna is designed for practical applications, which achieves a 3-dB AR bandwidth of 6.5% (2.38-2.54 GHz) and peak gain of 8.7 dBic. Agreement between simulated and measured results is satisfactory.
"Modified Square Slot Antennas for Broadband Circular Polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 38, 1-14, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13020105
1. Deshpande, M. and N. Das, "Rectangular microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 34, No. 5, 744-746, May 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143886
2. Wang, Z., S. Fang, Q. Wang, and H. Liu, "An ANN-based synthesis model for the single-feed circularly-polarized square microstrip antenna with truncated corners," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 5989-5992, Dec. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2214195
3. Wong, K. L. and Y. F. Lin, "Circularly polarized microstrip antenna with a tuning stub," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 831-832, Apr. 30, 1998.
4. Nasimuddin, Z. , N. Chen, and X. Qing, "A compact circularly polarized cross-shape slotted microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1584-1588, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180334
5. Kumar, G. and K. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House Inc., 2003.
6. Ramirez, R.R. , F. De Flaviis, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Single-feed circularly polarized microstrip ring antenna and arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1040-1047, Jul. 2000. doi:10.1109/8.876322
7. Sorbello, R. M. and A. I. Zaghloul, "Wideband, high-efficiency, circularly polarized slot elements," IEEE Antennas Propogat. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1473-1475, Jun. 1989. doi:10.1109/APS.1989.134997
8. Tseng, L.-Y. and T.-Y. Han, "Circular polarization square-slot antenna for dual-band operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 9, 2307-2309, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23633
9. Wang, C.-C., T.-Y. Lee, and J.-S. Row, "A simple design for circularly polarized ring-slot antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 10, 2262-2265, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26285
10. Row, J.-S., "The design of a squarer-ring slot antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1967-1972, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848482
11. Sze, J.-Y. and W.-H. Chen, "Axial-ratio-bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed circularly polarized annular-ring slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2450-2456, Jul. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152314
12. Liao, W. and Q.-X. Chu, "CPW-fed square slot antenna with lightening-shaped feedline for broadband circularly polarized radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 61-69, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10080101
13. Sung, Y., "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a parasitic center patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1712-1716, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186224
15. Chou, C. C., K. H. Lin, and H. L. Su, "Broadband circularly polarized cross-patch-loaded square slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 9, 485-486, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20070189
16. Bao, X. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency dual-sense circularly-polarized slot antenna fed by microstrip line," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 645-649, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916961
17. Sze, J.-Y. and C.-C. Chang, "Circularly polarized square slot antenna with a pair of inverted-L grounded strips," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 149-151, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.921341
18. Nasimuddin, Z. , N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Symmetric-aperture antenna for broadband circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 10, 3932-3936, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163757