In this paper, we present a low-profile, compact, ultra-wideband antenna that uses a set of closely coupled radiators. The system of two coupled radiators has two different linearly independent modes of operation with complementary frequency bands of operation. These include the differential mode and the common mode of operation. When the antenna is excited in the common mode of operation, it acts as an ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna covering a broad frequency band. When excited in the differential mode, the antenna operates as a wideband dipole in a frequency range below that of the common mode. Thus, by appropriately combining the two modes using a suitably designed feed network, the bandwidth of the antenna can be extended and its lowest frequency of operation is reduced. Mode combining is achieved with a feed network that employs a frequency-dependent phase shifter. Using this feed network, the two modes of the antenna are combined and a single-port broadband device is achieved that has a bandwidth larger than that of either the common or the differential mode individually. A prototype of the antenna is fabricated and experimentally characterized.
1. Schantz, , H., , "The Art and Science of Ultrawideband Antennas," Artech House, , 2005.
2. Goubau, , G., N. N. Puri, and F. Schwering, "Diakoptic theory for multielement antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 30, No. 1, 15-26, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142741
3. Friedman, , C. H., "Wide-band matching of a small disk-loaded monopole," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1142-1148, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143488
4. Nakano, , H., H. IWaoka, K. Morishita, and J. Yamauchi, "A wideband low-profile antenna composed of a conducting body of revolution and a shorted parasitic ring," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1187-1192, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.917010
5. Moon, , H., G.-Y. Lee, C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "An extremely lowprofile ferrite-loaded wideband VHF antenna design," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 322-325, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2191131
6. Palud, , S., , F. Colombel, M. Himdi, and C. L. Meins, "Wideband omnidirectional and compact antenna for VHF/UHF band," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 3-6, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2105239
7. Yusuf, , Y. and N. Behdad, "Compact, low-profile UWB antennas exploiting the concept of closely-coupled dual-mode radiators," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012.
8. Yusuf, , Y. and N. Behdad, "Miniaturization of a class of ultra-wideband antennas using dual-mode radiating structures," 2012 IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS), , 1-4, 2012. doi:10.1109/ICWITS.2012.6417710
9. Elsherbini, , A. and K. Sarabandi, "Very low-profile top-loaded UWB coupled sectorial loops antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 800-803, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2164569
10. Behdad, , N. and K. Sarabandi, "A compact antenna for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, 2185-2192, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.850750
11. Behdad, , N., M. Al-Joumayly, and M. Salehi, "Ultra-wideband low profile antenna," US Patent No. 8,228,251, 2012.
12. Seeley, , E. W., "An experimental study of the disk loaded folded monopole," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 1, 27-28, 1956. doi:10.1109/IRETAP.1956.6366292
13. Baum, , C. E., A. P. Stone, and J. S. Tyo, "Ultra-wideband, Short-pulse Electromagnetics 8 ," Springer, 2007.
14. Balanis, , C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley-Interscience, 2005.